What's new

Monitor shimmering problem (1 Viewer)

Ushabye

Projectionist
Real Name
Paul
I've just bought a new P4 2.4 to replace my old P3 500. I'm using the same monitor, a Gateway vx900, as my old system but I've noticed some shimmering on the screen when ever small boxes appear; for example when I right click a file, the box that appears with the specs is shimmering at its edeges, and even more noticably when I just put the mouse on a link and the smaller box appears shaking and shimmering. The tower is a safe distance from the monitor seperated by the wood of a desk and there's nothing else electronic in the room that could effect it. Any ideas?

Gary Neuwirth

Stunt Coordinator
Your tower isn't magnetic so don't worry about where that is. What about your computer speakers...are they shielded?

How is your video resolution set? Check your adapter setting...go as high as your monitor and you are comfortable with.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Any odd color shifts as well? I had an Asus Geforce 4 4400Ti card that had very cheap and crappy RFI circuits on it, and it would output a very fuzzy image. Black text on a white background would have yellow streaks around the text, even at 1280x1024@75Hz on my 19 inch monitor. I took the POS card back and got a Geforce 4 card from a different brand and the image was perfect.

Maybe you got a faulty video card? Or perhaps your video refresh rate is higher than usual -- beyond what your monitor can handle.

Cary_H

Second Unit
My immediate thought is you might solve your issue with a different monitor driver.
I don't know who makes this particular monitor for Gateway, but if you have a "brandname" video card in your new machine there are lots of forums out there where you might get some help.
I suggest a Google search using something along the lines of, "xxxxx video card discussion forums", where xxxx represents the maker of your card. You might also run a search for "xxxx video card drivers".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks