What's new

Monitor problem (1 Viewer)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I own a Viewsonic PF790 monitor that has served me well in the 18 months I've owned it. It's the best monitor I've ever owned. I've had the refresh rate set at a nice 85hz since I got it (we.

I moved recently and noticed something different about the monitor as soon as I hooked the PC up in its new home. The monitor now constantly "shakes". It's most evident in the corners but it occurs all over the monitor. The "shake" is similar to what you see when you degauss but much less severe. The shake is more noticable at some times than others.

Needless to say, this problem is a huge source of eye strain. I'm curious if anyone else has ever experienced similar symptoms and if anything other than a new monitor can help.

I'm also wondering if it's even the monitor. Perhaps my GeForce 3 is dying? -is that possible? I don't notice the shake when running games...only within Windows XP.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Are there any devices with transformers or fluorescent lights near the monitor? This sounds like AC noise being picked up, and I've seen this happen when a monitor is too close to a fluorescent light.

KJP

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Good though, Kevin. I'll have to check the exterior of the building tomorrow morning. It is odd that the shake is intermittent.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
my girlfriend's monitor does the same thing. i've seen the picture vibrate to where it's almost unreadable.

we think it's something her neighbor is doing. she lives in a townhome and shares a common wall.

my guess is her microwave cuz it never happens for more than a minute or two.

are you in an apartment complex or close to other people?

Camp

Senior HTF Member
are you in an apartment complex or close to other people?
Yes, but the monitor is near the exterior wall. The nearest horizontal neighbor is probably 30' away. However, I do have an upstairs neighbor about 10' away. Hmmm...

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I saw some weird issues when my monitor wasn't getting enough power (my g/f's monitor and the TV were sucking it up). Have you tried it in a different outlet (on a different circuit)?

KyleS

Screenwriter
Yes, but the monitor is near the exterior wall. The nearest horizontal neighbor is probably 30' away. However, I do have an upstairs neighbor about 10' away. Hmmm...
Very common problem when you have Power running in the wall itself that is not well insulated. We have had entire buildings that have had to have the monitors replaced with Shielded models due to Wiring in the walls. I would suggest trying to move the monitor away from the wall to see if it stops the problem. If it does then you will know there is too much noise coming from the power in the wall. If that is the case you will either need to choose a different wall or replace the monitor.

KyleS

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
if it's emf radiation you can quite simply block the radiation with nothing more the a sheet of fine mesh fencing or something else similar. I know a guy that blocked the radiation between a TV and a monitor with a sheet of mesh aluminum.

reminds me of a physics experiment where you take radio that is picking up a strong radio signal and then put it in a chicken wire cage and poof, it can't pick up the station anymore.

anyway, good ideas are to look into a UPS system with some form of voltage regulation. will clean up a fair amount of bad power going through the monitor. but I would suggest trying out different refresh rates. my monitor likes to be wobbly at 60hz, but at 75hz it's just fine. reason is that your wall outlet runs off 60hz power so there is some symathetic amplification occuring at that particular refresh rate. anyway it's easy to try out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks