What's new

Monitor Out on Onkyo 595 (1 Viewer)

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Hi all, I just upgraded my reciever to an Onkyo 595... wow, what a difference digital makes! I've been using an old Pioneer Pro-Logic reciever for years.
On the Onkyo 595, I hooked up my Sony Wega with an S-Video cable. My digital cable only has a composite connection, so that's what I used to hook into the Onkyo (both audio and video). But I didn't get a picture unless I used a composite video cable from the Onkyo to the Sony.
Is there a way around this? The manual says you don't need to have both hooked up, but it seems like whatever the source is using, that's what the Onkyo will use.
Thanks!
Mike D.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
By digital cable u mean cable TV right? Well, if ur cable box doesn't have S-video out and just RCAs then that's just what u can put into the Onkyo. But I'm afraid it will not convert the composite to S-video to ur Sony. There are "adapters" u can get to convert the RCAs into S-video though. Try bettercables ad here at HTF.
------------------
Eric Samonte
Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Yes, you're correct, it's cable TV. I'm guessing that the adapter won't do anything to improve picture quality?
Thanks,
Mike D.

AndrewG

Grip
Mike,
There are adaptors for the RCA to S-video cable so you can run everything through your receiver. I have had my Onkyo 595 for about 1 month and love it (I was upgrading from ProLogic as well). I wanted to run everything through the receiver and out using S-video to the TV. I have Dish Network and they have S-video out and of course the DVD player does as well. So I needed an adaptor for the VCR ( I use as a tuner as well). I bought one from AudioAdvisor.com from Camelot for $39. Radio Shack sells one for about $20, but the Camelot one gave less signal degradation. A lot of others may recommend using a S-VCR, but for $39 it was hard to beat the adaptor. It won't improve the picture from a composite source, but it probably doesn't damage it either.
Andy
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks