Monitor Out on HT Receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug MacGregor, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Doug MacGregor

Doug MacGregor Stunt Coordinator

My JVC RX-6010VBK HT Receiver has a "Monitor Out" jack. I'm not using it because I'm not sure what it's for.
    My TV has only a coax input so I go composite from the DVD Player to an RF modulator and into the TV.
    Where does the Monitor jack on the Receiver fit into this? Or does it?
    The Receiver also has VCR input and output jacks. I'm guessing that they are somehow related to the Monitor Out jack.
    Thanks.

2. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Your JVC receiver(like most A/V receivers) is designed to do video switching. That allows you to have several inputs (i.e. VCR, SAT, DVD, etc) and output them to the TV via one cable. You simply select on your receiver what source you want and it will output that to the "monitor out"

Bill

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

This is covered in the FAQ & Primer- please check it out!

Why receivers have video ins and outs by Neil Joseph
    Options for Routing Audio & Video by Ted Lee

-Vince

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Connect the A/V receiver's video output for the TV to your RF modulator. Then you can connect the DVD player and other things to your A/V receiver's inputs.
    From what you describe, "monitor out" is your A/V receiver's video output for the TV.
    The VCR input and output video jacks are there to make it easier to record from any of the sources connected to your A/V receiver. Usually you connect your VCR's video out to the A/V receiver's VCR input, connect the A/V receiver's VCR output to the VCR's video input. You may disagree that the connections suggested here or in your A/V receiver manual are indeed easier to record with.
    Sometimes the video output to VCR is called monitor out and the video output to TV is called video out. Sometimes the video output to TV is called monitor out. Sometimes there is no second video output for a VCR. Sometimes the yellow jack is called monitor out and the S-video jack is called something else. This inconsistency from one manufacturer to another makes things confusing.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

5. Doug MacGregor

Doug MacGregor Stunt Coordinator

OK.
    Thanks all.
    I guess the confusion stems from my setup.
    My set up is actually a little more complicated than I first indicated.
    Satelite receiver to VCR via audio and video plugs...VCR to RF modulator via coax (it has 2 inputs, coax and audio/video plugs)...and DVD player to RF modulator also, then, as I said, RF modulator coax to TV.
    The RF modulator seems to do its own switching. When I play my DVD, it switches off the incoming coax from the VCR/DTH combo.
    I guess I could forego the RF switching by going VCR audio/video to the HT receiver and then Monitor out to my TV and let the receiver handle the switching instead of the RF modulator but then I guess I have to have the receiver on all the time, which I don't want.
    I'll stick with the status quo until I upgrade my TV to one with either composite or S-video inputs. I low-balled myself with the TV 4 years ago to save money before I knew about HT.
    Thanks again.