Monitor needs brightness almost maxed out

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mike_J_Potter, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

I got a used 19" crt monitor for free today. The thing is that in order for the monitor to be easily readable I have to have the brightness almost maxed out. I am assuming that this means the monitor is almost dead, I know its been sitting for a few months could that be causing it? It seems to be giving me a headache if use it for a moderate amount of time, and has these wavey lines showing through on certain colors..

2. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

I assume you tried both the brightness on the monitor itself and the settings of the graphics cards drivers (I always forget about the driver settings myself). Internally there is a G2 adjustment on almost all CRT devices that could help but adjusting it requires some knowledge of servicing and caution.

3. Mike_J_Potter

Yeah I tinkered with all the settings for a bit, No help the text on certain things is always blurry, and it gives me a headache. I pulled it and went back to my 17" oh well, at least I didn't pay anything for it.

4. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

If it's blurry it probably requires a recalibration to work properly, and if it is as used as it sounds (ie, needs to have contrast and brightness cranked high just to look passable) it probably isn't worth it.

Another thing that might cause headaches is if you had it on low refresh rates. 60hz for instance will give me problems with a CRT, needs to be 85hz (or higher) to be comfortable.

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    CRTs fade over time. How old is it?

6. Mike_J_Potter

Agreed messed around with it a bit and got sick of it. I wound up ordering a Rosewill 17" LCD from newegg for only 225. So far it seems to look pretty good, not sure about response time. I'll have load on a 3d game to try it out.