What's new

Monitor Malfunction? (1 Viewer)

Chris Lanni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christopher
Hey guys...

My PC monitor keeps getting blurry. Sometimes it will blur for a couple of minutes then go back to normal. Now it seems to lack the "sharpness" as in days of old. Is it definitely the monitor that is going kaput, or could it be the graphics card? Is there any way to tell?

Chris

John Watson

Screenwriter
I am also having some display problems, and as its a relatively new monitor, on a relatively new computer, hoped it wasn't failing. Anyway, the problem is, I think that text on buttons in the corner of screens and panes seems to have gotten fuzzy, especially after the monitor has been on 10 or so minutes. I don't remember it having this problem with "sharpness" 6 months ago.

Something that might be significant, is that I had switched from a 15" monitor to 17", and I suppose they are naturally "fuzzier", as a given screen resolution is performed on a larger area.

I read in a 1998 computer book that if a fuzzy monitor can't be cleared up by checking Display settings (I've tried lots of stuff, including brightness, contrast, color, etc), there may be internal settings that only technicians can access.

Would this still be true on a monitor bought in 2001?

I also read that sometimes machinery in the neighbourhood can affect monitors (large speakers, fluorescent lights, fans, etc).

And I wondered if anyone thought like you video card problems could occur, and how to check that?

If you don't have another monitor, maybe you can borrow a nearby friend's one for an hour or so to try that. I think I may try another monitor on that computer which is having the problem, and see if that makes a difference.

If so, I will know I can take the troublesome monitor in for warranty service or replacement.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
One simple thing to check: make sure the connection at the video card is tight, especially if you run at a higher resolution. You might even unplug it, blow on it for luck, and then plug it back in.

You might also wiggle that connection to see if it makes any difference in the picture.

//Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks