Monitor Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Svencer, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Chris Svencer

Chris Svencer Stunt Coordinator

I am looking for a good 19" monitor for my computer. It will be used for everything from word processing to Gaming and DVD watching. I have no idea where to begin. I have been looking at the screen on my laptop for too long now and need to upgrade. I would prefer to go with a Flat Screen (not LCD though) and still try to save some desk space. I have been looking at ViewSonic GS790 but am open to all suggestions. Thanks for the help.
    -Svence

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

I have always prefered Sony Trinitron monitors for the sharpness and quality.

The downside is that they are expensive and do use an Aperature Grill so you will see 2 faint lines on a white background (the grills).

Sony CPD-G420

KyleS

3. Chris Svencer

How about the viewsonic PF790. I haven't read many reviews about it, but it is supposed to be very similar to the GS790 but Flat Screen. Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    -Svence

4. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Sorry Chris I havnt heard anything about the PF790 from Viewsonic. We use a lot of Viewsonics here at work in the 17"-21" range and they are nice monitors but none of them are a true flat screen so I cant comment on that. Of course I am one of the few in my office that requested a Sony specifically. [​IMG]
    KyleS

5. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I'd have to agree with Kyle. Trinitrons are not cheap, but they're gorgeous monitors. I have two Sun Microsystems 21" monitors and one Sun Micro 20" monitor (all based on Sony Trinitron) hooked up to three of my PCs. Gorgeous monitors as long as you can train yourself to ignore the two aperture lines.

Now, in fairness I also have two Viewsonics (17") and they're nice too.

Contrary to popular opinion, though, you can adjust the pincushion and other settings on a non-flat monitor to simulate a flat look and feel.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

my brother-in-law has a sony 21" and it's pretty awesome. you can't really see the lines unless you really look. i don't find them bothersome at all - the monitor's performance more than makes up for it. but it wasn't cheap...i think they paid over a grand for it.
    viewsonic seem to consistently get pretty good ratings from the magazines, etc. i have no personal experience, but they seem to be a pretty good value for the money.
    i hear samsung makes good stuff too.
    also check out these links:
    Toms Hardware Guide - Monitor Reviews
    PC World - Top 19" Monitors
    C-Net - Top 19" Monitors

7. Chris Svencer

Well after reading everyones lopsided reviews towards Sony I caved, sorta. I went with a Dell P991, it is built on the Sony Trinitron but was only $219 on ebay. I read some other reviews online about it and they all followed the pattern here...built on a Trinitron, crystal clear, blah blah blah... Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I will be very very pleased.
    -Svence

8. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Something you might look for is a brand other than Sony that uses a Trinitron tube (is this the correct term for monitors?). I got my KDS Avitron 19 inch last summer at Best Buy. I can't remember exactly what I paid for it (I think it was around $270 after rebate), but it was much less than a Sony brand monitor and it actually has the Trinitron tube. I think the Avitrons have been discontinued, but some other manufacturers may also be using the Trinitron parts. Worth looking into. I am amazed at the clarity of my Trinitron based KDS.

Brandon Smith

9. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

I recommend Hitachi monitors. Excellent clarity and range of color.