Monitor doesn't work with my KVM switch.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike St.Louis, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

I just got a Startech Starview KVM switch (SV411K) to move between my Windows 2000 and Linux PC's.

For some reason though, my monitor doesn't work through it. I have a KDS Avitron 17" model which has worked well for me. When hooked up through the switch the monitor showes compressed garbled text. After a few minutes the display would show a box with this message:

Out of Range

Hf 30 KHz - 70 KHz

Vf 50 Hz - 160 Hz

Current Frequency

Hf 120.1 Hz

Vf 75 Hz

I cannot bring up the monitor controls before this message appears and when I was finally able to bring them up I couldn't find a setting for changing frequencies.

I stuck in a friend's older monitor - a Sony 15" Triniton model and it works fine.

Suggestions??

2. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

I ran into this awhile back with an Apex switch. If I remember properly the solution was to change the screen refresh rate in display properties.

- right click the desktop and select properties

- click on the settings tab

- click the advanced button

- click the monitor tab

- drop the refresh rate to 60 or so

T

3. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

Hmm. Wouldn't that just change the settings for Windows?

I was thinking that it was a setting on the monitor itself brought up through the digital controls.

I can use the monitor if I don't go through the switch. There doesn't seem to be a setting for frequency though.

Are you saying I can set the refresh rate in Windows and it will change it on the monitor? I had the monitor hooked up to my laptop which has a refresh rate setting of 60 Hz.

4. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure what the exact mechanics are behind the process. I assume that the switch can't pass the signal properly if the refresh rate is set too high.