Monitor display problemo

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jon_Are, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

My monitor suddenly started displaying some crazy horizontal lines: they are light grey in color, and they appear when the background is white and only on "rows" that contain text or graphics (if an area of the screen contains neither, the screen appears normal in that area).

I think I did this fiddling around with the settings, now I can't get it back to normal.

Help please!

Thanks,

Jon

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Maybe use Uninstall for any software for that monitor now installed on your computer, then reboot the computer and let it recognize a new component, and then it may bring you back to easier to navigate default settings.

I had a monitor go unaccountably floozy a few months ago, and the onscreen settings for monitors these days need smarter monkeys than me to manage, but the reboot did the trick.

(I hadn't actually installed the Monitor software anyway, it was just a reboot that did it..)

3. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Is there a restore to defaults on your monitor?

4. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

I think this is very telling to me. What kind of monitor do you have? Is it an LCD or CRT? Is it a Sony or another monitor that has an aperture grill?

I believe that your problem is hardware related so these software fixes are probably not going to work. You might have to lay down some dough to get it repaired. Is the problem so bad that you can't ignore it? Can you turn down the brightness to make it more bearable?

5. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Thanks, all...

I'm going to try the fixes suggested when I get some time.

The monitor is a Samtron 96BDF (made by Samsung(?).

I don't know about the aperture grill part of it; how would I find that out?

Yeah, I've messed with the brightness and contrast controls, with little improvement. This is not something I can live with.

I did spend some time looking for a restore defaults option, but I don't believe it exists.

Do people actually get monitors repaired? Seems like they're more of a disposable item to me.

Thanks again,

Jon

6. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I had one monitor repaired. It was still under warranty but I had to pay shipping, but was still financially ahead.

It lasted another 3 years.

I have since had another monitor under warranty fail, and I'm going to try and have it repaired too.

7. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

There are many brands of monitors but there are only a handful of CRT manufacturers. Even though you have a Samtron brand monitor, its CRT might have been made by Sony. I tried to look it up in the net but I couldn't see. Since you have a flat-screen monitor the chances are likely that you do indeed have a Sony CRT since they make most of the flat screens in the market.

Take a look at this and let me know if that describes your problem.