Monitor connection on my Sony Reciever?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jeremy Scott, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

On the back of my Sony Reciever is a Video Out connection. It says Monitor....why would a reciever have a video out connection?

i dont understand why it is there

2. Kenny_H

Kenny_H Stunt Coordinator

If you have video connections attached to your reciever (vcr/dvd/laser disc/video games, etc), running a cable to the video in of your monitor with will take care of the video switching to that monitor. The black s-video jack will render slightly better image quality than the yellow composite jack to your monitor, and the red-green-blue jack (if you have it) will give even better image quality (mainly for use w/dvd players,in most cases). Depending on the number of inputs you need, it is an economic fix. Of course, if you want to connect directly to your monitor, you may get better video quality. The choice is yours.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    With home theater most people route the video signals of their various components (DVD player, VVCR, satellite receiver, etc.) through the receiver. The “Monitor Out” jack sends the video signal of the selected component to the TV. This is more convenient arrangement than sending all those video signals directly to the TV and having to make separate selections from two remotes – one for audio, one for video.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

ok, i kind of gotcha both.....my reciever only has composite jacks on the back of it, and right now, i have component cables going from my dvd player and my gamecube directly to my hdtv, so i guess there is no reason to havea video cable going from the reciever at all, right?

5. John S

John S Producer

Hmm, well on many recievers it is needed, or even just makes it easier to have an on screen display when your doing setup changes and/or channel level changes.

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Right. But as John noted, it would be helpful for viewing your receiver’s on-screen menu.

7. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

i dont understand what you guys mean onscreen menu?

you mean a reciever menu on my tv?

8. John S

John S Producer

Yes, most modern receivers are also video sources in and of themselves, by providing an OSD - On Screen Display...

This allows you to see channel levels / changes, as well as setup, system, and surround sound, parameter screens...

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Ok, when you switch from DVD to game system you must:

- Grab the TV remote and change the video input. 1,2,3 button clicks as you flip through the various sources.

- Grab the receiver remote and change the audio input to hear the game system.

Sounds like simple lazyness? Perhaps... but try coming home to a cranky child and a pissed-off spouse because she could not let the child watch their favorite "VegiTales" tape because she could get video, but no audio.

Just wait until you find that new piece of gear and propose bringing it home. You will be reminded of the "VegiTales" incident ... for years to come. [​IMG]

Note: there are 'issues' with running video through the reciever if you have a mix of composite, SVideo and component devices. Dont try it without some advice.

10. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Bob, Sounds like you need to buy a Learning Remote that has MACRO Buttons. That way you can program ALL those button pushes from your other remotes & store them under one button on a Universal Remote with Macro's. Then instead of fooling with a bunch of remotes all you do is push one button on the Universal Remote & everything changes at once.

I just got done setting up an RCA remote that my neighbor got for Xmas & his wife loves it. To watch a DVD now all she has to do is PRESS ONE BUTTON &
    The TV turns "ON" & switches to the Component Input
    The Receiver turns "ON" & switches to the DVD Input
    The DVD Player turns "ON" & the DVD Door Opens

Sofar I have set up 4 Marcro Buttons:

Number 1 to watch the TV
    Number 2 to watch the VCR
    Number 3 to watch the DVD
    Number 4 Turns EVERYTHING "OFF"

Needless to say his wife is in love with the remote & for the very first time she now knows how to operate everything and she is having a lot of fun with his gear & the more fun they have with it the more they might let you buy [​IMG]

11. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

but since i am using component connections for my dvd and gamecube, and my reciever doesnt have component on it, it isnt possible, right?

12. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Jeremy, Correct and your better off always running any Video Connections directly to your TV anyway if the tv has enough Video Inputs to handle all of your Video Gear because you will get some Video signal loss when running any Video signal (Composite, S-Video, Component) through a Receiver or Video switcher. If you do buy a Receiver in the future that has Component Video Inputs make sure the Component Video Mhz is at least 30Mhz & a lot of people reccomend at least 50Mhz & up for Hi-Def Component Video signals.

13. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

cool, thanks

14. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Actually, I Have a learning remote with Macros. But my television does NOT have codes to jump to a particular input like the reciever. This means the remote would have to remember:

- He was watching CATV, now he wants the DVD player, thats 2 button presses for Video Source

- He was watching CATV, now he wants the Sat player, thats 3 button presses for Video source

This is why my next television MUST have 'jump to input X' type of commands. Then life will be happy.