Monitor brand recommendations

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Seeber, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

I just ordered a new computer from Dell and a friend wants to buy my old one from me for her dad. I was going to keep my two-year-old 19-inch ViewSonic monitor, but she wants that too, so I figured it's as good a time as any to upgrade.

I don't need anything expensive, but I would like a 19-inch flat CRT, preferably with black case. Sony would be nice, but maybe a bit more than I'm willing to spend (around $300).

I've seen some good prices on ViewSonic, which I've had a good experience with so far, and I've read good things about Samsung. I've seen a good price on a Hitachi, which has a five-year warranty (although I've never heard anyone talk about Hitachi monitors).

Anyone have any recommendations one way or another?

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I have a Samsung and love the price and detail (755df- .20dp) but make sure you get an Aperture Grille and NOT an invar shadow mask type. Ap grille is more vibrant and brighter, the shadow mask in my 755df makes the images look dim and kind of washed out. I look at the same image on my folks' cheapy 17" Samtron (ap grille btw) and I can see things I didn't before. [​IMG]
    Samsung, Sony, and Mitsubishi are all great from what I hear. And btw Vince pointed out many Dell LCDs are OEM'd from Samsung anyway, I see no harm in going for a Dell (LCD or CRT) if they can give you a good bundled price.

3. John Parris

John Parris Stunt Coordinator

Currently using the Samsunng 955DF (19") and I love it. Out of the Sony, Viewsonic, and Samsung i looked at, I like Samsung the best. I tried to be very objective because I have a 27" Samsung TV that I absolutely despise now... turns out I love this monitor [​IMG]

4. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

I keep hearing good things about Samsung, so methinks I should look into them a bit more. Thanks guys, and keep the comments coming!

5. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Check out the NEC FP series - http://www.necmitsubishi.com/product...9&division=NEC
    It's an excellent looking monitor, part of their pro-level stuff (for instance one option for it is to buy a color calibration kit), it's right at the top of your price range though but well worth the money.
    Andrew

6. Chris Svencer

Chris Svencer Stunt Coordinator

I got a refurbished Dell P991 (Sony inside) for like 260 shipped from Ebay. I usually wouldn't go refurbished but it has a 3 year warrenty so I can't really complain. Heres the link to the place I got it from (he also sells on ebay under monitormon)
    Monitors
    -Svence