What's new

Monitor Audio? (1 Viewer)

KurtW

Stunt Coordinator
I've been looking at a few different sets of front towers for my system, and a local place has the Monitor's for a decent price. I was looking at the Silver series, but the salesperson (whom I've known and trusted for many years) informed me that the Bronze B4's are supposed to be a little better in all around sound than the Silver S6's that I was listening to. Can any one confirm or dispute this for me? For me, the Bronze B4's are a solid $400 CHEAPER than the Silver S6's, but I've always kind of thought that you get what you pay for.

If it makes any difference, I'll be upgrading from a (don't laugh) Polk RM6000 system-in-a-box. I have a Sony WA500 12" sub, and I'll get the rear and center speakers once I get the towers. I'm running a Yamaha HTR-5550 reciever as well. My initial concern is musical quality, but I will be using them for movies as well.

Good gravy, that was much longer a post than I intended.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Can they get the B4 for you to audition? Maybe a different shop may have them.

I have heard the Bronze B2, and was very impressed.

IMO, If it is good for music, it will be good for HT.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Greg,

I did not get to listen to them side by side. I heard the B2 at the local Good Guys. The biggest difference is the B2 had more bass. The highs and midrange did not seem as good...but I would like to hear that more in my own room and with my own stuff. The bass was definitely impressive for their size and price point. And they look nice too. If someone did not have a sub and was not planning on one for a while, I would tell them to check out the B2.

I understand that the B2 can be had online for $320 or less. From what I heard in the store, that is an great deal!.

Thira

Agent
I use Monitor Audio Silver series for my Home Theater. My mains are the S10 and the rears are the S1. I thought the Silver series were noticeably an improvement over the Bronze series, just as I thought the Gold series were better than the Silver.
But no matter which, I am sure any Monitor Audio speakers are solid. It is simply a matter of budget.
Cheers

I listened to a Monitor Audio Bronze floorstander at Hillcrest High Fidelity a week or two ago. I compared it to the Boston VR-1 and came away wanting the Boston's. This is the second time I've listened to Monitor Audio and haven't been impressed either time.

gregD

Second Unit
With speakers, it really is all about personal preferences... it is the one component that varies the most from make to make... all you can do is audition extensively and trust your ears.

I love the sound of the MAs... particularly the Silvers, but the entire line is great... get your dealer to arrange an audition of the Bronze if possible so you can compare for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks