What's new

Monitor Audio vs Paradigm Reference (1 Viewer)

David J Wang

Agent
Was wondering what line of Monitor Audio compares to the Paradigm Reference? The silver or the gold? I specifically want to know how the Silver 5i's or higher sound compared to the Reference Studio 80s or 100s. I also want to know how the Monitor Audio Gold Reference 10 or 20s sound versus the Studio 80s or 100s. They are somewhat in the same price range so I thought they might be comparable. Bass shouldn't be that much of a factor because I'm getting SVS subs.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
I thought the silvers were very detailed and clinical. Music was bland (kind of British:)). The Reference series were very musical and sounded great ofr HT. The Gold's really impressed me too, but they were hooked up to first rate equipment I won't afford anytime soon. I wish I could get the Gold's in w/ teh References to see where one benefits and the other doesn't. Maybe it's placebo, but the Paradigm's always seem very energetic. Paradigm also crapped on its customers by discontinuing their flagship active line.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I have listened to the Studio 60s, 100s and the Gold 20s at multiple stores and was also able to A/B the 100s and 20s at one of these places using multiple amps. Note that I did like both speakers, otherwise I wouldn't have listened to them so much.

In a nutshell, I would pick the Gold 20s over the Studio 100s for 2 channel music listening. The 20s excelled in the mids and had a sweetness and clarity in the highs that was very pleasing to me. Not as detailed up top as the 100s, but not warm, either. There are those that perceive the Studios to be too bright, but it never got bright for me. On the lower end of the freq spectrum, the 100s can definitely push more air than the 20s, but the 20s are surprisingly robust down low, at least for bass guitar range. I would have no problem listening to 2 ch music with the 20s without a sub, given I need go no lower than 35-40 Hz.

Note that both speakers need good amperage to open up, IMO. I have been less than fully pleased with both speakers when driven by separates where the rated power was

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks