Monitor Audio Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter $ Jay, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Peter $ Jay

Peter $ Jay Extra

I am planning to buy speakers within the next few weeks and although I am leaning toward B&W, I remain intrigued by the Monitor Audio GR-20's which carry a similar price. Has anyone here auditioned the 20's? If so, how might they compare to the B&W CDM-9NT's? I really like the 9NT's, but I won't be able to compare them to the 20's since no one my area carries Monitor Audio. Your thoughts???

Regards....Peter

2. Doug BW

Doug BW Stunt Coordinator

I auditioned both last summer and preferred the GR-20s, although I did like both. I thought the GR-20s were a bit more natural sounding than the 9NTs.

Having said that, I would hesitate to recommend that you get any speaker in this price range without hearing it for yourself first. There are certainly many people who prefer the B&W sound to Monitor Audio, and you may be one of them, even if I'm not.

If you like the 9NT's then you should get them. If you're having doubts about them, then you should consider auditioning more speakers so that you can be more comfortable with your final decision.

I should also mention that I didn't buy either speaker. (I ended up with the Harbeth Compact 7's, which to my ears were signifcantly better than the B&Ws, MAs and others in that price range, in particular due to their really amazing midrange. Worth an audition, if you can find them in your area.)