Monitor Audio new Silver 8 speakers--Opinions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian O, Aug 26, 2001.

1. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

Have the Silver 5's on Lovan 6 inch stands. I like them alot but on some material they seem to lack a certain naturalness/fullness to the low end.
    I have seen pictures of the Silver 8s and was wondering if anyone has done a comparison with these two speakers? Is there a distinct bass/low end advantage with the 8s?
    I have a Denon 3300 as a Pre/Pro hooked to a HK PA5800 amp and a Velodyne CT10 Sub.
    ------------------

2. John_RK

John_RK Extra

Brian,
    I've had little success finding Monitor Audio owners on this board, so I'll try to chip in. I really like MA speakers and recently purchased a pair of 9i's.
    As for the 5i vs. 8i....I listened to the 8i for couple of hours in a showroom and was very impressed. My audition of the 5i was much shorter (a few songs). To me, there was a definite low-end advantage to the 8i's. Then again, the 5i's were not in the prime showroom and were being powered by less impressive electronics.
    My opinion based on this limited experience: the 5i's are a great bang-for-the-buck speaker, and when matched up with a good sub, would be hard to beat in the price range. The 8i offers a fuller sound but still needs a sub to perform at its best, and costs about $500 more (retail).
    I was ready to buy the 8i's, and my dealer actually prefers them to the 9i, but based on my room size and listening preferences, I went with the 9i (another step up in low end and also another $500). Couldn't be happier.

3. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Brian,
    I'll throw my $.02 in here as I have auditioned a few models and, as stated above, there's not much MA talk on this forum. Therefore, I will ramble [​IMG]
    I don't know if this will help, but my recent auditions have been with the new Gold Reference series, specifically the two floorstander models, GR20 and GR60. A number of months ago, I also auditioned the Silver 8i (why I skipped over the 9s I don't really know).
    Anyway, I didn't like the 8i that much, but I only auditioned them once. I felt the bass was really lacking in extension and punch, although they were not a boxy sound (which I have heard with many speakers). The mids and highs were laid back and warm in a pleasant way, but I expected more detail than I heard. I think their placement in the demo room was very poor, and that contributed a lot to my opinion on the bass, although better placement wouldn't have saved them down low. I do appreciate decent low extension for my music, which goes part and parcel with my preference for floorstanders. Note that this demo was powered by a Marantz 8000 receiver.
    I am much more enthusiastic about the GR20. It's twice as expensive retail (US$) as the 8i's, but I think it makes up for most of the aforementioned shortcomings. Still on the warm side of neutral, but not much. More importantly, the detail is there. As long as a warm amp is not used, they provide good articulation (I didn't like the matchup with the Parasound 855; I think the highs suffered the most). But the mids have that full, "rounded" type of sound with all the amps with which I've demoed. Now, the bass extension is still limited, but noticeably better than the 8i's in my opinion. I would still need a sub to help out on music with a small subset of bass-heavy selections, so it doesn't reach down there the way a Paradigm Studio 100 or PSB Stratus Goldi does. This speaker is on my short list. Note that all GR20 demos were with separates.
    The GR60 goes a step further (for an extra $1K) and has the requisite bass (for my musical tastes). Just a bit short of the Studio 100s in low end slam, but close. The bass does integrate very well with the rest of the sound, however. I demoed the GR60s once with separates.
    If $ are an issue, do note that the GR10's, which are not floorstanders, are the same price as the 8i's. I have not listened to them, however.
    As always, YMMV.
    Doug
    ------------------
    "Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins

4. EricKH

EricKH Agent

I have the silver 9i's and have the running with the Adcom GFA-5802 amp. I find them to be very detailed and capable of a good soundstage (wide and deep)

5. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

In case anybody's interested, I can get ya PSB and Monitor Audio at 25% off list. You can email me at [email protected]