Monitor Audio Home Theater question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jason Kolczak, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Jason Kolczak

Aug 22, 2002
    I've currently got the S1 bookshelves and am looking into getting into home theater. I am limited in budget and have a few questions on what I should do.

1. Buy a center channel and no surrounds
    2. Buy another pair of S1 or S2 and use a phantom center
    3. Buy a pair of S6 and move the S1 to the rear and use a phantom center

My room is 17x14 with a small opening in the rear corner. The couch is approx. 3 feet from the rear wall and is centered on the TV and is running parallel to the 14 foot wall. The speakers and sub are on the 14 foot wall.
    My current receiver is a Denon 2800 and I have a sub.

My current thoughts were to go with another pair of S1s and use the phantom center. Anyone watching a movie will be on the couch, and I'm assuming should be in the sweet spot or close enough to it where dialogue should not be a problem coming from the mains.
  2. Daniel.Han

Daniel.Han Stunt Coordinator

Jun 6, 2003

While I don't have experience with your exact speakers, I have always found myself happiest by upgrading my mains first. By buying a better pair of mains, dialogue in home theater will be clearer and the need for a center will be reduced. Not to say that you won't want to add one in later. Plus by upgrading the mains you'll probably get a much more enjoyable music listening set-up as well. Just my 2 cents though.