What's new

Monitor Audio Gold/Silver Series opinions? (1 Viewer)

Brian O

Second Unit
I am looking for opinions on these lines of Monitor Audio speakers. I currently have the Silver 5i mains and 10 Center and would like any experiences with these and/or the rest of their Silver/Gold Series.

I might be interested in upgrading these to a larger driver speaker. Would there be much of a difference to doing that within the Silver Series to the overall sound? Maybe a more natural low end than the 5.5" drivers the Silver 5s have? Would the Silver 8s with the same driver size be much of a difference or would I have to jump to the Silver 9s for the 6.5" drivers to have that fuller, more natural low end?

I am using a two HK PA5800 Amps to drive them with a Denon 3300 as the Pre/Pro.

Thanks in advance for any info you can throw my way. I havent listened to the Silver 8s or 9s yet.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Hi Brian,
I've been doing some reconnaissance of the Monitor Audio speakers as of late too.
From what I've gathered reading other people's reviews/comments, the Gold Reference series generally seems to get extremely high marks. The opinion on the Silver Series seems more mixed. I should point out, however, that most of my research has focused on the Gold Reference series.
The December 2001 issue of SGHT has a review of the Gold Ref. series and it's highly favorable. I looked through their website trying to find the article for you, but couldn't find it. If you'd like to read it, let me know and I'll see if I can scan it and email it to you.
I used HTF's search function and found some related threads for you.
Best of luck and have fun!

Mark_Sparks

Agent
I have the MA Silver 5i (mains), Silver 3i (rears), Silver Center 10 and the bad arse ASW210 sub. I like these speakers. I fortunately have a good friend that sell these so I got them for cost. I'm running the Yamaha 795 with them and it souds great. I know a lot of HT people say the yammy and MA's sound bright together, but I can't hear it. i am thinking about upgrading to the Sovereign 5090 receiver. But overall, I've had these speaker for over two years and they sound more amazing every time I watch a dvd or throw in a cd. Great clarity and imaging.

Brian O

Second Unit
Scott -

Thanks for the links and info. Good stuff! I have read the mag review previously. What U.S. pricing are you finding with the GR series...and with the Silver series if you have info on those too?

Mark -

Funny you mention the Yamaha 795 as that was my first DD receiver. However, I sold it to my brother and never did hear it with my Silver 5 setup, having now upgraded to the Denon 3300 with 2 HK Amps. Previouly, I had the Infinity RS-5 for mains and Overture 1 for center. I really liked the 795 on 5.1 material but I found the 2 channel stereo not to my liking...very thin sounding. That was the main reason for my upgrade. I hear that is a trademark of some of the Yamaha line though, at least a few years ago.

Anyone out there had experience with the Silver 8 or 9's?

MitchJS

Grip
I recently purchase the 8i's for mains and 10i for center speaker. I am extremely happy with the sound and look of these speakers. My 8i's are the rosewood mahogany and I think they are beautiful. I originally auditioned the 5i's and the 8i's and I thought the 8i's sounded much fuller and richer. I have a Marantz SR8000 receiver, svs 20-39pc sub and NHT superone for surrounds. I know there are better and more expensive speakers out there but for home theater and music I am extremely happy with the price and performance of the Monitor Audio speakers.

Brian O

Second Unit
Mitch -

Thanks for the info. That was what I wanted to hear. The 8's have the same driver but one extra one and the speaker box is deeper and a little taller. I was wondering if it made much of a difference with the lower end. Sounds like it did. I will have to audition these.

How well do they match up with the 10 Center? How much did you pay for them? I got my 5's for about $750 almost a year ago.

MitchJS

Grip
I think the 8i's match up well to the 10i center. They also make the 12i center, but I have never seen or heard that speaker. I bought them from an online dealer for $1170 for the pair. I believe they list for $1495 or $1595 (not sure) but I have even seen them on several online dealer websites, and frequently on ebay.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Brian,

I haven't reseached prices on the Silver Series, but in reading the other posts in this thread it seems you're getting help in that regard.

As for the Gold Reference line, here's the best prices I've found so far (new, factory-fresh equipment):

GR60 $3195/pair

GR20 $2460/pair

GR10 $1189/pair

GR Center $900

Haven't been able to get any pricing yet on the new GRX surrounds

I don't know if these prices are the best; I've only recently started looking into it. Also, some HT dealers sell new product on eBay, and I have seen some prices that are lower than what I list here.

Hope this helps.

David J Wang

Agent
When looking for the best prices for the Monitor Audio Gold speakers I was wondering how the warranty is honored? If we buy it from someone through ebay and there's something wrong with the speaker do we go to our nearest Monitor Audio retailer? Do we ship the speakers back to Monitor Audio directly or do we send it back to the dealer we bought it off through the internet? I'm also concerned about what would happen if we bought Monitor audio speakers through a person and not a dealer. Then how is the warranty honored?

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
David,

The answer to your question, from my experience, is...it depends. If you're buying from a HT company that happens to be selling on eBay or another auction site, it's best to confirm that the warranty will be honored as it may not always be.

Some companies have strict policies against reselling their product on the Internet, and in those cases the warranty is usually void unless you buy over the Web via an authorized dealer. Truthfully, I'm not sure if Monitor Audio is one of those companies.

If I had the choice between buying a product from a local dealer and buying it online, and price is no object, I'd buy it locally most times. However, the 'Net does afford the opportunity to save a bundle of $$$ sometimes - you just have to make sure you understand what you're buying.

Another thing to remember is that the situation is probably different if you're just buying from a local dealer that happens to have a Web presence and is willing to ship its product(s) to you. But in those cases I'd guess the discount is not as large.

Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread