What's new

Monitor and bass box, or monitor and sub for music/ht? (1 Viewer)

Chris J R

Grip
I am trying to decide on my next speaker project and was wondering what the consensus was on speakers for HT and music. They will be used for about 60/40 Music/HT. The question is should I build a 2 way and use my current sub (Stryke HE15) or build a 2 way and a 10 or 2 8s and have the sub handle only the low bass for movies? Thanks for the help!!!
------------------
Laters!!
Rollo

Alan Ross

Agent
Your current sub can handle anything below 80 Hz. So you need a speaker that will handle 80 Hz to 20 KHz. Most 6 1/2 in. and some 5 in. midwoofers can do that. I would go with a two way and your sub. A 10 or 2 8s are only useful if you plan on using your mains without a sub. But since you've got a Stryke HE15, I think it's a waste not to use it.
------------------
Best regards,
Alan

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
You'll need something that's ~flat to 60Hz, and generate plenty of SPL if getting ~reference level/listening position is the goal. Quasi-MTMs like the Adire Kit281 are about the minimum IMO for mating to your sub.
GM
------------------
Loud is beautiful, if it's clean

Chris J R

Grip
So basically I don't need something with any subs? It would be a waste of the HE15? So I just need some fronts that are solid to 60 or so? THere is no advantage to going to 2 8s or so up front? Is it better to have it with the bass boxes for the fronts for music and only use my sub for low on movies? I don't know about placement for the sub as of yet because I will be moving to a new apt in the fall. What I was thinking of was building a flexi with room underneath for the sub so I could keep it close to the mains. So the concensus would be something solid to 60 and no bass box? Can I still reach the reference levels-not that it is important but I like to have headroom-with jsut smaller speakers and a sub? Thanks for all the help as this would save me a lot of $ ie more drivers amps etc.
------------------
Laters!!
Rollo

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
No, I'm saying that you need mains that go down ~flat to 60Hz so that they will make a good XO transition to your sub for the LFE effects. If you didn't already have sub, and didn't want one, then the mains would have to go down to ~16Hz if you wanted to reproduce all the special effects. Neither a 10", or two 8" would do this at any decent level, if at all. Nor will any 5"-6.5" driver I know of hit ~reference levels/listening position at low distortion at a typical distance, so I'm not sure what Alan has in mind.
The Adire Kit281s I mentioned as minimum for ~reference level HT mains DO have a pair of 8", and are ~flat to 60Hz. Ideally, you would want a variation of this speaker for the ctr chnl and surrounds for best blend of surround effects.
Ultimately you will need a 5 chnl amp + your existing sub amp.
GM
------------------

Chris J R

Grip
What I am leaning towards is a Focal center with a tweet/5/ and 2 7s. I think it uses a T90 but I was told I can swap it out with another focal tweet-TN51 etc without too much crossover hassle. Are there any focal kits that would allow me to match the center and still achieve great music and HT reproduction? I'm open to any ideas really. Thanks for the help on getting started guys.
------------------
Laters!!
Rollo

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
I really don't have any experience with mass market HIFI drivers. My background is single fullrange and horn designs. All I can say is that it will be a poor blend to something like the Kit281s. Whatever you use for mains should be the basis for a CC, or vice-versa.
WRT to choosing something, make sure it can at least equal the Kit281s performance if ~reference level/listening position is desired.
GM
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks