What's new

Monitor acting crazy; any ideas? (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Just yesterday, my monitor started actin' the fool. Here's what has happened - maybe four times - since last evening: the screen becomes very faded/washed out-looking, as if the contrast were set all the way down to zero (it's not). Also, there are about five slightly-slanted, evenly-spaced white horizontal lines running across the screen.
Each time this has happened, I noticed, it was the result of a jarring of the monitor or desk (such as pushing the chair in against the desk). I've learned that, by physically tilting the top of the monitor backwards, normal color/contrast returns. I push it back, normal; I let it go, faded. The monitor sits on a round, swivel base. Tilting the entire set-up - monitor and base - achieves nothing. Tilting just the monitor while keeping the swivel flat on the desk corrects the problem.
So...for now I've jammed a juggling ball :) between the top of the monitor and the inner facing of the top portion of my desk, creating the needed tilt. It has not acted up since.
However...WTF?
It is a 19" HP Pavilion monitor that is two years old.
All input appreciated.
Thanks!
Jon

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, sorry if this seems like the painfully obvious solution, but have you checked the plugs? Maybe a bad connection somewhere, and moving the montior loosens it? If the VGA cable is detachable on both ends, try a different one perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks