Monitor acting crazy; any ideas?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon_Are, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Jun 25, 2001
    Just yesterday, my monitor started actin' the fool. Here's what has happened - maybe four times - since last evening: the screen becomes very faded/washed out-looking, as if the contrast were set all the way down to zero (it's not). Also, there are about five slightly-slanted, evenly-spaced white horizontal lines running across the screen.
    Each time this has happened, I noticed, it was the result of a jarring of the monitor or desk (such as pushing the chair in against the desk). I've learned that, by physically tilting the top of the monitor backwards, normal color/contrast returns. I push it back, normal; I let it go, faded. The monitor sits on a round, swivel base. Tilting the entire set-up - monitor and base - achieves nothing. Tilting just the monitor while keeping the swivel flat on the desk corrects the problem.
    So...for now I've jammed a juggling ball [​IMG] between the top of the monitor and the inner facing of the top portion of my desk, creating the needed tilt. It has not acted up since.
    It is a 19" HP Pavilion monitor that is two years old.
    All input appreciated.
  2. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Jul 4, 2000
    Well, sorry if this seems like the painfully obvious solution, but have you checked the plugs? Maybe a bad connection somewhere, and moving the montior loosens it? If the VGA cable is detachable on both ends, try a different one perhaps?