Monitor 5 from PARADIGM

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Antonio_D, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Antonio_D

Antonio_D Agent

hi all, i wanna know how good these speaker sound before i buy them.
    So please share your toughts about the Monitor 5.

Thanks in advance!

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Compared to what? I have them, and I am very happy with them. The right frequency response to be set small without missing out on any of their capability, though they also do well set to large with no sub and plenty of power. They are 2dB higher sensitivity vs the Mini Monitor and are much more clear in the midrange vs the Monitor 3. V3s are bi-wireable, if that matters.

Since you are considering them, you should also take a look at Axiom's M22Ti.

3. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Stunt Coordinator

4. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator

Just a thought: the cost of the Monitor 5's with stands is approximately the same as the cost of Monitor 7's. I've also seen comments online around stepping down to the Monitor 3's and putting more money into the subwoofer.

Do you already have stands? A sub?

jdg

5. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

In my opinion, the Monitor 5's sound superior to both the Monitor 3's and 7's. That is assuming you are talking about the v.2 or the v.3. The v.1 Monitor 5's weren't quite as impressive as the two most recent versions. I agree that you should also consider the Axiom's, but I would be willing to bet that you'd be VERY happy with the 5's. I have the v.2 matched up with an SVS PCi20-39 and am in love with the combination. I would take the 5's on 20" stands over the 7's every day of the week and twice on Sunday.....that's just my $.02 [​IMG]

6. Antonio_D

Antonio_D Agent

ok thanks for your advice guys,BTW my audio setup will consist of a STR-DA4ES receiver,with 6x Monitor 5's, a CC370 center channel and a PS-1200 Sub-Woofer.

But if for example i buy a set of monitor 5's do i get the "stands" with it or i will have to buy them seperatly for each speaker.
    And was is the price of a normal stand?

Thanks in advance!!

7. Cooper_B

Cooper_B Agent

Antonio,

While in general I would say you should audition as many speakers as possible, I can vouch for the Monitor series (I have the Minis). Very well-balanced and extremely clear, though you should make sure not to match it with bright components, or the treble can get out of hand. (I've heard brightness from a crappy dvd player, cheap speaker wire, and even interconnects!).

Stands come separately. I paid around $70 for mine; I think they retail @ $80 or $90 per pair. These are critical to getting the performance out of the speakers. I am happy with the paradigm ones... and you can plug the bottoms and fill them with sand / lead shot. Definitely a feature to look for, as it should really help the speaker clarity.

Oh one more thing.. consider getting a dedicated amp for the main 2 or 3 channels, where you really need the juice. Receiver amps are just too strained to live up to your speakers in terms of dynamics and quality. Also, consider the dipole ADP-370 for the surround left/right speakers. Movies sound good with the more diffuse sound of dipoles, unless you're listening to surround music.

-Cooper

8. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator

9. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    While I >sort of< agree about the 40s, used 40s, without veneer, are still quite a bit more than 5s. 5s are a bit of overkill for surrounds though, but they should also do the job very well.
    For auditioning Axioms, you will have to check around, they DO have dealers. You might try contacting them directly to find out if there is one in your area. I wouldn't recommend the Axioms if I didn't think they were good speakers. [​IMG] While I recommend them, I completely agree that you will be happy with the 5s.
    I'd have a tough time saying I'd take the 5s over the 7s any day of the week, because the 7s are better for music, IMO. And even though I feel this way, and I listen to more music, I did go for 5s [​IMG]
    I would NOT recommend the Monitor 3. Easily the worst speaker in the Monitor line. Muddy, a bit boomy, and unrefined in the lower midrange, likely due to it's 8" driver, compared to the Mini or 5.