Monitor 11 vs. Studio 100

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by james e m, May 17, 2002.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Is it no contest?

I currently have the 11s and I'm thinking of cashing them in and buying the Studio 100s. What I'm concerned with is bass, will the Studio 100s walk all over the Monitor 11s when it comes to bass output? I never use a sub when listening to 2 channel music so I want to make sure the 100s can go low.

Thanks!

James

2. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Anyone? I just wanted to make sure before I lay some more money down. Thanks...

James

3. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

It would be safe to say that the 100's can walk all over the 11's in bass output.

4. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    If you go by what's on paper the 100s should kill the 11's. Two 8" bass drivers vs 3 6.5" bass drivers. It's range is from 39-22 vs the 11's 49-20 (+/- 2db).

The thing with the 100s is that they may be more forward sounding and might be more affected by positioning and room size. Also, you may want to upgrade your amp as well. What amp are you using now? A good 200W/channel Anthem/Rotel amp would probably go really well with the 100s.

Other then that, the only real way to tell is to simply go listen to them.

- Mike

5. John Dunlap

John Dunlap Stunt Coordinator

See my thread below regarding the Monitor 11's vs. the Studio 60's. IMHO-The Monitor 11's sounded fantastic and I preferred them to the Studio 60's. However; I am not naive enough to think that a $900 speaker can compare to a $2,400 speaker from the same manufacturer (but anything is possible!). My advice is listen, listen, listen! Don't believe the hype, believe your ears. Don't upgrade just for the sake of upgrading. Upgrade only if you hear an appreciable difference ((steps off soapbox)).

Good luck!

6. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    John, to be fair, the 60's although very good and very expensive (compared to monitors) are not going to generate the bass that the 11's can. The 11's have 4 6.5" drivers while the 60's only have 2 6.5" drivers. In this case we are comparing the 11's to the 100s which have significantly more base then the 60s. If the 100s can't keep up with the 11's then there's something seriously wrong here.

I have listened to all those speakers and I much prefer the Studio line. It's important to note how clean the bass sounds as well. I'd also consider the Studio 80's as they can pound a fair bit of bass as well and are very clean.

And oh yeah, if price is a factor, you can always go for the laminate instead of the veneer and save some cash.

- Mike

7. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

James, I own the 100s powered by a parasound 2205 and the bass is awsome I actually only use my svs 20-39+ for movies cause the 100s bass is that good! Imo you wont be dissapionted[​IMG]
    Good luck Bob