1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Money in hand, now help me upgrade my speakers and sub.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Da Silva, Aug 9, 2001.

1. Dan Da Silva

Dan Da Silva Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys I want to upgrade my current Sony SA-VE815ED speaker package. I have $2,000 total to spend on a new 5.1 setup. I was thinking of either Paradigm, Energy or NHT's for the speakers and SVS for the sub. I'm looking for suggestions and advice, Thanks.
    ------------------

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

3. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Spending someone else's money. How could you not like that? [​IMG]
    Seriously, just wait on the shootout from Cheap Home Theater to be done. Should come out in a little over a week.
    For the speakers:
    Swan Diva
    nOrh
    Paradigm
    B&W
    ACI (especially if you are good with woodwork for the DIY)
    Ascend Acoustics

4. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Here is my Paradigm set-up that I really like -- Monitor 7's, CC-370 Center, Mini-Monitors for surrounds, and PW-2200 Sub. This package lists for around $2,000, with discouonts you could probably get it for $1,600 to $1,800.
    With this budget, there are a lot of possibilities. Audition 3 or 4 set-ups in this price range and choose the one that sounds best to you. Good luck and happy shopping.

5. David Head

David Head Second Unit

Dan,
    I suggest you add the PSB Image speakers to your list. There is a dealer close to you:
    Audio Connections
    615 Bloomfield Ave.
    Verona, NJ 07044
    201-239-1799
    You could get one of the powered SVS subs (25-31PC, 20-39PC or 16-46PC) and still have enough for one of the following PSB Image configurations:
    3LR, 8C and 1B
    4T, 8C and 1B
    5T, 9C and 2B (might be stetching it)
    I suggest you audition any of the speakers you consider before you decide to buy. Even the nOrh and Home Theater Direct speakers (which also will be included in the Cheap Home Theater shootout) offer a 30 day in home trial. The both will refund your full purchase price if you aren't satisfied and Home Theater Direct also will refund the shipping costs.
    David
    [Edited last by David Head on August 09, 2001 at 04:52 PM]
    [Edited last by David Head on August 09, 2001 at 04:52 PM]

6. JohnFR

JohnFR Stunt Coordinator

Don't forget to listen to Definitive Technology.