What's new

Mondo Cane Collection Box Problems (1 Viewer)

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
In case anyone cares about the topic heading on this thread, my box is very slightly cracked at the top. No biggie.

Also, I hate to drag you all away from the Snuff debate (very interesting, by the way), but I have to just say that the Mondo Cane Collection has to be the best box-set since Criterion's Antoine Doinel set. Both show such an amazing love of the films, and astonishing attention to detail, that I would be prepared to say that these are the best two DVD sets around.

(By the way, I think Snuff should have had a bit more, but you can't blame BU for not being original!)

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
What's with the "business standpoint" obsession? Why should you be so concerned that it's "harming sales"? I can only conclude you own substantial shares in Blue Underground.
Jon, Blue Underground is a business. It is not obsessive to judge all their releases from a business standpoint. If it makes no business sense to leave out menus and scene access on a DVD, then it is a bad decision. Blue Underground does not make DVD's in order to lose money.

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
I never stated that they had increased sales - I stated the rationale for the marketing technique, which is not the same as it saying it actually worked. You, however, offer no facts to back up your definitive assertion that their marketing technique didn't increase sales. You're just inventing facts and trashing a company over those inventions of yours.
The ONLY purpose of marketing is to increase sales. So, by calling it a marketing technique, you are asserting that its purpose is to increase sales. Since everyone understood that this was a gimmick, and since it did not enhance the DVD, it is rational to conclude that it had no positive effect on sales. I have no evidence that it had a negative one. Are you asserting that rational individuals seek out DVD's without menus and scene access?

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
Back on topic....received a very pleasant and unexpected e-mail back from DVD Pacific in light of the problem i highlighted earlier...i've cut and pasted it:

Some good news!

BU got back to me and tell me they are having some boxes made for this specific reason. They will also send you one directly when they have them completed and I have passed on your details to them. They were unsure exactly of a time frame but assured me that one would be on it’s way to you soon.

Well, I am glad to read this. I certainly hope it is true. I really love this set.

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
Also, I hate to drag you all away from the Snuff debate (very interesting, by the way), but I have to just say that the Mondo Cane Collection has to be the best box-set since Criterion's Antoine Doinel set. Both show such an amazing love of the films, and astonishing attention to detail, that I would be prepared to say that these are the best two DVD sets around.
I agree. This set is exhaustive in its presentation of these films. I watched Addio Africa Director's Cut with a friend last night, and we were enthralled by the documentary presentation, even given that some scenes were set ups. These films are a glimpse of a different time through the eyes of some very interesting observers.

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
I watched Addio Africa Director's Cut with a friend last night, and we were enthralled by the documentary presentation, even given that some scenes were set ups.
it's my fav of the set. the animal footage was the most disturbing to me....awesome, sad stuff.

I dont use chap stops much...but I guess dont mind them either. I do mind worthless one-sheet chapter stops as the insert. if they wont include a booklet or fold-out of info, then I wish they wouldnt waste the paper. the stops are just fine as they are...on the menu. I've been making my own booklets for a few years now. essential write-ups and tidbits of info and so on.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Robert, name a dozen DVD's which do not have scene access and menus other than Snuff.
I'll get you started. Pearl Jam: Sibgle Video theory. Same deal. Packaging is meant to look a a paper bag. Nothing on it except the title, barcode and a list of credits. Disc has no menus and no chapters.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I have no evidence that it had a negative one. Are you asserting that rational individuals seek out DVD's without menus and scene access?
I know a whole heck of a lot of rational folks for whom menu/scene access is not a deal breaker (or even a negative whatsoever) when purchasing a disc. For a start, there are the many, myself included, who purchased Snuff knowing full well that it had neither menus nor chapters. I also make the shaky assertion that I am as rational a DVD purchaser as anyone else. Therefore, some rational people don't care about the matter. And I have no idea what your point is about the rationality of consumers. Rational people can disagree on what factors affect their purchasing habits. So what?

I can't really figure out what it is you're trying to prove at this point. You think it was a bad idea (you also think, dubiously, that this is "not even debatable"). Other people think it was a good idea (an "awesome" one, even, as at least one person has labeled it). People have differing opinions on the matter. So what? End of story.

DJ

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
Just like you had to invent a completely false opinion of mine in order to label me a hypocrite, you're inventing what may well be completely false "facts" about the sales of the disc (e.g., "It did not increase sales.") in order to label it "bad."
My assertion that removing menus and scene access did not increase sales cannot be false unless you are asserting that lack of menus and scene access is a selling point to consumers. Are you asserting that? If so, are you advocating removing menus and scene access from other DVD's would increase their sales as well? Also, you would be required to show proof that sales increased as a direct result of eliminating menus and scene access. You have not done so. I am not required to prove a negative, i.e that sales were not increased.

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
I'll get you started. Pearl Jam: Sibgle Video theory. Same deal. Packaging is meant to look a a paper bag. Nothing on it except the title, barcode and a list of credits. Disc has no menus and no chapters.
Let's be reasonable. We are discussing a movie, and not music videos. So, get us started with films on DVD sans menus and screen access.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Destroy All Monsters has no menu and no chapter stops. I bought it, and Snuff, anyway, because I wanted the movies.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Anything a company does that causes this much debate and discussion is excellent free PUBLICITY for their product. Whatever you think of how the SNUFF disc is laid out, I'm sure all the threads and discussions about it have brought it to the attention of far MORE people than the usual horror and cult fans. That's EXCELLENT marketing in my eyes.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Let's be reasonable. We are discussing a movie, and not music videos. So, get us started with films on DVD sans menus and screen access.
It's not a music video collection. It's a documentary that consists of interviews interspersed with footage of Pearl Jam recording in the studio.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I just received my copy in the mail and, sure enough, upon removing the shrinkwrap the plastic box just disintigrated! :frowning:

Hopefully they can ship out some new boxes soon.

-Lyle J.P.

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
I think Blue Underground is working on replacement boxes.

That is good news for me, because after I got an offer from DDD for a 20%-off coupon, I broke down and ordered a copy ($72 shipped!).

Eric DiPiazza

Stunt Coordinator
I did the same thing as Robert. Should I send BU an e-mail, or do you think that they will address the problem on their site ala Sadomania and Circus of Fear? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks