What's new

Monday Night Football in HD (Merged) (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Is it just me, or does the field get all spotty and pixelly in a farawy shot from up top?

TimDav

Auditioning
When I turned the game on and watched it for the first 5 minutes, I was disgusted by the 4:3 aspect ratio, but I went back later and it was in the 16:9 AR and looked great.
And yes it does look pixelly in far away shots.

TD

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I turned it on for two minutes. Look great but even HD can't get me to watch pre-season.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I watched the first half of the game and it looked good. The faraway shots always seem to get pixellated in HD. I'm not sure why.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Dammit! I don't remember what I was doing, but it certainly wasn't watching Monday Night Football on the HDTV :frowning:

How did I forget such a thing!

ScottHosler

Auditioning
Can anyone tell me if they are getting the game in 16:9. I have yet to get MNF in widescreen. We just got HD ABC here so I am wondering if TWC is having problems.

Another wierd thing, instead of black bars on the side of the picture, I have gray bars. Anyone else ever see this?

Mike Slade

Second Unit
I'm watching the game right now and it is great!!!! This is my first HD football experience and it does not disappoint. It is everything I hoped for. Now if only abc were doing the college game this weekend in HD, i'd be set.

ScottHosler

Auditioning
Well, I'm annoyed now. Football was one of the things I was most looking forward to in HD. We've had NBC HD for 8 months, but they don't carry many major sporting events. The HD looks great, but no widescreen. I hope they are just working out the bugs at our local station, but I think a phone call is in order.

David.N

Agent
Monday NIght Football looks good here in Kansas City. (Time Warner HD) Too bad ABC is the only affiliate in HD. WOuld like to have NBC, FOX and CBS....no word on when they will be available here yet :frowning: KC cheifs are on FOX I'm bummed.

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator

Some of the cameras used are obviously SD, not HD, particularly the high end-zone shots -- kind of like how ABC handled the NBA finals, mixing in crappy looking SD cameras for certain angles.

dan fritzen

Second Unit
Some of the cameras used are obviously SD, not HD, particularly the high end-zone shots -- kind of like how ABC handled the NBA finals, mixing in crappy looking SD cameras for certain angles.
Do they use SD cameras for SD broadcasts then or is the HD feed downconverted for SD?

It was cool to see Kurt Warner play like 2001 and not like last year. Bulger was excellent as well. Hope this is not foreshadowing on the Bucs part.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Usually HD ABC content looks a little soft on my set, I assume because of the upconversion from 720p to 1080i. However when I watched Monday Night Football it looked better than usual - comparable to the CBS stuff that I understand is all 1080i. Is Monday Night Football in 720p or 1080i? I know HDTV Galaxy listed it as 720p, but I'd like to understand why the apparent improvement in quality if so. When I watched the regular ABC primetime stuff last night it was back to the softness. Is it a HD video vs. film thing?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
abc and espn is 720p.
and looks soft, to me,compared to hdnet and cbs, which do use 1080i.
also looks soft comparerd to when i watch the phils on comcast hd.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I think everything from ABC is 720p.
It is unless you live in the DFW metroplex. Our local ABC station upconverts the 720p feed from ABC to 1080i for local telecasting. AFAIK this is the only place that this happens, but I suppose that other local station might choose to do the same thing.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
From what I understand Fox isn't broadcasting any games in true HD, but rather 'Fox Widescreen'.

Does anyone know if tonight game (Steelers/Cowboys) will be broadcast in Fox Widescreen? How do I find out, other than waiting until gametime?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks