Mom's comming home from Japan, What Laserdiscs to get?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jin E, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

My mom is flying back from Japan this Sunday. She said she can probably bring me back from laserdiscs from Japan. What discs shoudl I have her look for!?!?! HELP!

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Oh God! Tell her to bring some for me! (I'm serious). Here are some that are damn tough to find here at a reasonable price, sometimes at any price:
    • Dune boxed set. Contains both theatrical and extended theatrical cut. Extended version available nowhere else.
    • Looney Tunes Stars of Space Jam and Bugs and Friends. Both these are three-disc box sets of 30 Looney Tunes cartoons each. None of these cartoons are available on any LD box set or single disc.
    • Twin Peaks Pilot Episode. This is the European cut. Please, please, please - I want this for myself. If she can find two, I'll take one.
    • Indiana Jones Widescreen Trilogy. Really, there's no advantage to these over the domestic release, except for the supplement disc.
    • Eraserhead, widescreen. This may be coming to dvd next year.
    • The Kingdom I & II. I don't know about these - they're in Dutch with Japanese subtitles. If you don't know Dutch (I don't), I'd say forget it.
    • Abba Gold.
    • An Evening of Yes Music. Better jacket than domestic release.
    • Pat Benatar Videos - not certain of the title, nor am I certain that it's a Japanese title. However, it's another one I'm looking for - get the hint?
    And many, many more - these are what I can think of at the moment. There are also some "Squeeze" LD's, if you have anamorphic capability, and some Muse discs if you have, of course, Muse (not too likely - you also have to have a Muse capable LD player). Here's a site that lists a lot more titles: Japanese LDs.
    These are all pretty expensive here; they will probably still be expensive in Japan, just less so. She's going to have do some searching to find them, though.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Dune-Extended is available in Japan and the UK on DVD

Twin Peaks Pilot is also out in Asia