Mommie Dearest!!! The Baddest Mommie of all...

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ryan Wishton, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

Does anyone remember the movie Mommie Dearest???

I recently watched this again and still just like the movie for it's campy value...

I must say the sets were very well done though...

This movie was originally suppose to be a straight drama, but it ends up anything but that... One or two scenes are kind of disturbing... If you put it into context, the movie is not funny and shouldnt be... But, it ends up funny at parts and is basically entertaining... Not what the purpose was... Sure, technically the movie is bad... One scene doesnt make any sense from the next... We never know how old who is in which scene... We dont really know when anything is taking place...

What makes the movie for me...

Faye's performance as Joan Crawford is very memorable... This woman is a force to be reckoned with everytime she is on screen... She is such a great character in a way...

From lines such as "Mom changed husbands faster than she changed bed sheets" to "I should have known you would know where to find the boys and the booze" to "Dont f*** with me fellas" to "No wire hangers ever"... Just a few of the lines throughout the film..

Too bad they never made Mommie Dearest 2 and 3 back in the day with Faye... I would have loved to see her in the role again...

I sort of like the Evil B*tch Genre... Movies such as Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, Mommie Dearest, Misery, Fatal Attraction, etc...

Anyone else ever like those types of movies???

2. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I haven't seen it for years, but I remember I had a very different reaction to it. I dated someone who's mother wasn't all that different from Crawford, and after seeing that type of behavior in person, I didn't find it the least bit funny. Of course, I probably wouldn't have grasped how disjointed and poorly made it was at that time.

If you like evil bitch movies, you have to see Romeo is Bleeding. That is the evilest bitch I've ever seen.

3. Daniel J.S.

Daniel J.S. Stunt Coordinator

For an "evil bitch" film, check out Ran. Lady Kaede is the working definition of evil bitch and she getsa great (and fitting) death
    . As an added bonus, the film itself is great

4. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Faye Dunaway once said she played Joan Crawford as a woman playing a man playing a woman. This really explains a lot about the camp value of Mommie Dearest doesn't? [​IMG]

5. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    We all know Mama from "Throw Mama From The Train" is the most evil mommie of all [​IMG]

6. Rob P S

Rob P S Cinematographer

rob
    Don't forget Mrs. Voorhees in Friday the 13th. [​IMG]

7. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Bitchiest Movie Mom?

Gotta be Anjelica Huston in The Grifters.

8. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Does SERIAL MOM count? [​IMG]