Momentary DVD video dropout

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BobAZ, Feb 10, 2003.

1. BobAZ

BobAZ Stunt Coordinator

During some audio sequences, my DVD player would drop the video signal momentarily. Usually during loud, crescendo-ing scenes. It does the same thing during a couple DD and THX trailers, namely the T2 THX trailer. Thinking it was my POS Shinsonic DVD-100 player, I bought a Toshiba SD-K510 . From what I can tell, the K510 has the same specs as the Tosh SD1800. I went from no-name cheapy to big-name cheapy. I must say the Tosh drops out much less than the Shin but it still can't handle all the situations.

Is this a function of the video DAC? Most of the players in this $100 range have 10-bit/27 MHz video DAC. Would a jump to the progressive scan players with 10-bit/54 MHz video help this problem?

While typing this post it occured to me that vibration may be the culprit. I have the front and center speakers on top of my entertainment center. It is a solid wood, well built cabinet about 6' tall. The player is on a glass shelf about 3' below the Left spkr. The sub sits on the carpet (no spikes) about 1' from the ent. center. Could a vibration from the speakers cause the video to skip? The sound never falters so I don't think the DVD is skipping during playback. I'll experiment with the speakers on some padding to eliminate any possibility of vibration.

Onkyo SR600 rcvr
    Tosh SD-K510 DVD (S-Vid to rcvr to TV)
    27" Tube TV with S-Vid input
    JBL NSP1-II spkrs with Sony WM40 sub

2. BobAZ

BobAZ Stunt Coordinator

I placed both fronts and my center on 3/4" eggcrate foam and the sub on 2" eggcrate foam.

From the S&V HT TuneUp disc, the Rain DD trailer still drops out right at the beginning when it flashes from the logo to the rain. KEYWORD: flash. I played the THX Cavalcade trailer and it is beautiful. Not a blip. I then removed the foam and played both trailers again with the same results.

So I stepped through Rain and just after the flash the video dropped for a split second then showed the next frame. Hmmmmmmmm...

I noticed dropouts in T2:UE so I blasted the DTS Digital Experience and the T2 Cavalcade trailers. Again, beautiful. At the beginning of the movie when the child is swinging then it FLASHES to the battle scene there is another dropout, recreated by stepping also. Within the opening battle sequence there are 2 more place where an explosion or gunfire cause the screen to flash white and that is when the dropout occurs. Later when Arnold jumps onto the liquid hydrogen truck and is blasting away at the T-1000 the multiple white flashes cause a couple more dropouts.

So, it is narrowed down to the bright 3/4 to full screen white flashes and the S-Video connection.

Since it's late and I was able to Search finally, it looks like Todd Hostettler had a similar problem with a Toshiba SD2800 using S-Video. Strange, mine is an RCA TV also. Maybe it's the TV? The white flash looks electically like no signal so the TV and it drops till the next frame?

Again, would a faster video DAC help this problem?

3. BobAZ

BobAZ Stunt Coordinator

Thinking out loud...

Try the DVD with a composite connection. No component inputs on the TV so that is not an option.

Try hooking S-Video straight to the TV, bypassing the rcvr. This is how the Shinsonic was connected until Nov. of last year and it still had video dropouts.

The S-Video (DVD) and Composite (VCR) inputs share channel 00 on the TV. If both sources are on, the S-Video has priority. Maybe a combination of the switching logic in the TV and the white flash of the S-Video signal?

4. BobAZ

BobAZ Stunt Coordinator

I haven't tried the composite hookup or S-vid straight to TV yet that I mentioned inthe previous post.

Now, I'm leaning toward returning the Tosh SD-K510 and picking up a Tosh SD-3800 ($150) or a Sony DVP-NS715P ($140). These players have higher speed video DACs compared to the 10bit/27MHz in most cheapy models. This is just a gamble hoping the higher speed video DACs will eliminate the video dropouts.

Toshiba Sony
    Video 10bit/54MHz 12bit/108MHz
    Audio 192kHz/24-bit 96kHz/24-bit

The tradeoff is faster AUDIO DAC in the Tosh or faster VIDEO DAC in the Sony. Any suggestions?

5. BobAZ

BobAZ Stunt Coordinator

I tried composite and it DOES NOT drop the video.

I tried S-Vid directly from the DVD player to TV and it DOES drop the video. Originally I was running dvd to rcvr to tv.

So does that rule out the video DAC as the problem? Internally, the DVD player reads the disc, DAC converts it then signals are sent in parallel to the video outputs. It happens on both the Toshiba and my original Shinsonic player.

So it is definitely something about S-Video going into my TV. Actually, while watching Brazil last night, the video would dropout during some of the dream sequences that go almost all white. Just another data point to rule out a problem with a single disc.

With a faster DAC, does the signal going over the S-vid cable go faster? Or does it have a set frequency? Anyone familiar with s-video specs?

EDIT: I'm double dipping on this topic, here is my thread at DVDTalk

6. BobAZ

BobAZ Stunt Coordinator

Somebody please try and explain this? I hooked up a Sony NS715P DVD player through s-video and the white flashes are gone. It looks great. I tried all the discs mentioned above and not one of them drops out. The Sony has a 12bit/108MHz video DAC. 2 bits more resolution and 4x as fast as the Toshiba. I'm happy and the Tosh is going back.