Mojo [MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTION]

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Henry Gale, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Just checked Amazon to see about ordering MOJO. They're asking $119.00 for a year....$9.94 per issue.
    I know I pay a lot for these at the newsstand, but I didn't think they were that much.
    Know how to save a few bucks on this great music magazine?

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Not a chance. It's a UK magazine, so it's generally very expensive to import to the US for publishers. Most UK mags are like that unfortunately - there's a few I'd love to subscribe to, but the cost is through the roof.

For some mags that have a large sales base in the US, the US distributor will bulkship them over, which does reduce costs, but adds a small delay.

Try mailing a mag to the UK & you'll be suprised just how much the postage is. The crummy exchange rate doesn't help either.

BTW, a direct subscription from the publisher in the UK to the US costs 59 uk pounds, so Amazon aren't screwing you over.

https://www.subscription.co.uk/secur...UBMIT=Continue

3. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

I buy Mojo at Border's books. Not every month, but several times a year. It's $8.75 and worth every penny.

4. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Thanks Brian, thanks Ron...this is why I try not to pay attention when I'm making purchases, it's too upsetting.
    Every time I buy a MOJO, which is about every time I see one, I think, "I'll save money if I subscribe!" But I guess I was already getting a bargain at Borders or Barnes & Noble.

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

[​IMG] SO true!

Question: It sounds like you buy these individually at the bookstore, so why did you go to Amazon for a subscription? Don't they have them in the magazines? I would assume the magazine inserts would be the cheapest.

6. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

My subscription just ended. I won't renew but will buy all new issues at the newstand like I used to (I've been collecting them since issue #42).

I found that I only saved about $10 subscribing, but I got my issue, usually about two weeks AFTER it was on the Seattle news stands. So a couple times I wound up buying itt anyway, then giving my extra copy away.

The reason I subscribed was to get the CDs or other occasional free giveaways that sometimes, due to licensing, would not get released in the US, but except for a Soul compilation CD a few years ago and a White Stripes 45, the places I shop always have the free stuff.

If I got the issue before the news stands or was given a better deal I would renew.