MoFi announces new SACDs!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    According to the www.stereophile.com website, Mobile Fidelity is set to release a slate of jazz and pop SACDs starting with an SACD of Patricia Barber's "Modern Cool". "MOdern Cool" is a breathtaking vocal effort with amazing transparency and realism in the sound. I can't wait for this one...
    As many of you may know, MoFi, as it is known, has a strong audiophile reputation for remasterings of old classic albums from Pink Floyd to blues to jazz. They are being resurrected by new ownership following some financial troubles.
    Those of you lucky enough to have their SACD "Blues in Orbit" know how excellent a recording they can make even on older material.
    This is very exciting news indeed!!
    [​IMG]
    Lee

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    What??

No interest in Patricia Barber?

You expected The Beatles or Pink Floyd?

In time my friends!

Lee

3. John Beavers

John Beavers Second Unit

I will be seeing Patricia Barber in concert this Wednesday at Yoshi's in Oakland, CA. Can't wait! And from what Music Direct lists, not only will Modern Cool be available on SACD in March, but also Cafe Blue and Nightclub. I will be getting all 3.

4. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

Is there any word on whether or not they got the rights to any of the previous cds? There were quite a few that I never got around to buying. I don't know much about Patricia Barber but some of their blues discs were great. The Muddy Waters disc is one of my favorites.

KrisM

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Kris,

I agree. Muddy Waters was excellent. Unfortunately, no list on prior albums is available as of yet that I know of.

I understand that the MoFi website will soon be updated with upcoming albums.

Lee

6. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

After checking out Music Direct's website, it appears that the 3 Patricia Barber MoFi CDs are being pushed back to April.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee, because Music Direct now owns the Mobile Fidelity name, I see the label being very different than it once was. I see it as an audiophile label in the same vein as Chesky, not the label that once gave us Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, and Rush. I don't see Music Direct having the kind of pull to release Dark Side of the Moon on SACD.

In case you aren't aware, the owner of Music Direct is married to Patricia Barber, which explains why so many of Barber's titles will appear in the first crop of Mobile Fidelity SACDs. I am sure Music Direct will release some quality music on SACD, but I am not getting my hopes up for seeing blockbuster rock and pop artists on Mobile Fidelity SACDs.