Modulate to digital cable box

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JimWilkinson, May 16, 2002.

1. JimWilkinson

JimWilkinson Auditioning

Good Morning Everyone!!
    Well here is my first of hopefully many threads I'll be doing. I have a basic question for anyone regarding modulating say a DVD player to your Digital Cable Receiver (DCR). Is anyone having any problems receiving a modulated signal through their DCR? That's all for now. Just bear with me for a little while, as I'm still learning how to work these forums.[​IMG]

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Are you talking about running an RF converter through your cable box?

What sort of problem are you having?

Usually with DVDs you want to avoid RF conversion since it delivers the poorest quality picture (and the picture quality is the reason we all have one, isn't it?).

I would say.. if there is any way to run the DVD video directly into your TV via, composite, component, or s-video.. do it.

If you are talking about some other issue.. I guess I need a few more details.

Welcome aboard, by the way.

3. JimWilkinson

JimWilkinson Auditioning

I'm not insulting you, but I will write this out in simpleton terms for those who don't quite understand what we're taking about. It sounds like you and I are on the same page.

Lets say you have a camera outside of your house. And you want this camera to be shown on all TV's in the house. You bring this video signal to a modulator inside. You go from the modulator (channel 73) to a two-way-combiner (a two way splitter turned backwards). One of the in's is the camera signal and the other is your Digital cable signal. You then go to a notch filter (knocking out channels 75-80 for example). Then to a 6 way splitter, out to six TV locations. Two of the locations have a Digital receiver box. The other four locations have analog cable going to them. The camera comes through just fine on channel 73 on the analog TV's. Have you heard of any problems with the camera signal going to channel 73 through the Digital Cable receiver to the TV? Digital cable is typically run at 950-2050 MHz. Analog cable is un between 0-900MHz.

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer