Mods - Please read threads before moving them

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim_K, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Apr 7, 2000
    I recently started a topic in the MOVIES forum titled 20 Most Influential Science Fiction Films of all Time in which I listed 20 films picked from another source, commented on some of them and asked other members for thier thoughts.
    My purpose was to generate some much needed discussion about these classic Sci-fi films. I mean there is only so much I can read in the MOVIES forum thesedays with the endlessStar Wars episode II, Star Wars and Greedo shooting first, Star Wars and INSYNC, Star Wars vs LOTR, etc.. ad nausium [​IMG]
    Well just seconds after posting my thread was moved to the dungeon called the POLLS forum. Now I usually can kill a thread by myself so I don't really nead a Moderators help in this matter. [​IMG]
    So I urge the Moderators to read the actual postings and not just go by the thread title before moving threads.
    thank you for listening and I now hope my membership doesn't get cancelled for this posting. [​IMG]
  2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Feb 12, 1998
    I think this simply undescores the importance of composing a thread title that accurately reflects the subject matter of the thread -- not just for the moderators but for all potential readers. Here, for example, if the purpose of the thread "was to generate some much needed discussion about these classic Sci-fi films", a better title would have been "Classic Sci-Fi". My guess is that thread would have stayed in Movies.

The mods have to look at hundreds of threads every day. They do a good job, but it's unrealistic to expect them to evaluate every last one in minute detail. If it's worth one's taking the time to start a thread, it's worth the extra few minutes to think about the impression the title will create.

3. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Jul 31, 1997
    Cees Alons
    I just read the whole thread very carefully, knowing what I'm knowing now, and I cannot even consider it a wrong move to place the thread in the Polls Section (which isn't a "dungeon" by any means) now. Michael is right: if you have other intentions with a thread, please make it clear to anyone.
    And accusing us of not reading carefully isn't done, especially not because your text doesn't clarify it that well at all. I could too easily reposte now by saying "Please write the thread carefully before posting them" - but I won't. [​IMG]
    (For your information: 'twas not I who moved your thread).
  4. Rain

Rain Producer

Mar 21, 2001
    I don't understand why everyone is so down on the Polls Area, as if nothing interesting is ever discussed there. Try checking it out and you'll see that your presumptions may not be correct. [​IMG]
  5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Jan 23, 1999
    Rain is correct, the polls area commonly contains indepth discussions, and is well worth pursuing.