Moding a Sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cave Canem, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Cave Canem

Cave Canem Auditioning

I was reading on www.audioreview.com about my SA-WM40 SUb and many of the folks talk about lining the interior with some sort of acoustic foam or spray. This supposedly helps by making the sound 'crisper' and less boomy.
    Have any of you ever done this and give me your thoughts or possibly point to a place where I can find out the info on how to do it myself?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Heath_R

Heath_R Stunt Coordinator

Some of the people on there have put the wrong stuff in a couple if times. Most people put Polyester Fiberfill ( Pillow Stuffing ) in, it makes the driver "see" a larger enclosure. I have heard it makes a difference, but I do not have a sony.

3. Jereme D

Jereme D Stunt Coordinator

I made this modification to my subwoofer Cavé. It works very well as far as making the bass tigher goes. Depending on how much stuffing you put, the overall output of the sub is reduced, but the sound is of a better quality.
    To do the mod is very simple. I was very skiddish about opening my subwoofer up, but there is really nothing to it.
    *The below are not official instructins and Jereme_D will not be responsible for your sub, or safety* [​IMG]
    Just pop off the protective cloth-covered grill if it's not already off.
    Mark the driver and the box in one place so you'll remember how to orient it back in the box once you're finished.
    Unscrew the screws that are holding the driver in place. Lift the driver out. The wires are not long enough for it to be set on the floor, so set it on the edge of the box, or put something beside the sub to set the driver on.
    Now, line some of the stuffing around the sides of the box. I've heard of people using everything from hot glue to staple guns to secure it. I used regular white glue in mine. Be careful not to block the port on the bottom with the stuffing. How much stuffing you want to put is up to you. The output will reduce as you add more stuffing to the box. I've heard of some people filling nearly the entire box. I have it about three inches think on the sides in my box.
    Lastly, line up your marks and place the driver back in the box. Screw the screws back in, and you're in business.

4. Cave Canem

Cave Canem Auditioning

Great, Thanks Jereme. I will hold you responsible if I mess it up. [​IMG]
    j/k
    I guess Ill run to the store tonight and pick some up.
    Thanks again for the info.

5. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    You can get the fiberfill from either Walmart or a crafts store (typically used as pillow stuffing).