Modifying gang boxes

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by don costanza, Jan 30, 2004.

1. don costanza

don costanza Agent

Well, after spending some time searching the archives I haven't found an answer to this question so I thought I'd start a new thread.

Starting the pre-wire phase and would like to drill a 1 1/4" hole in the box instead of using the punch-out tabs. Will this cause undue pain and suffering on my part when the inspector arrives?

Thank you for your time on this issue...
    Don

2. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

Though I am not an expert in code your part of the country or mine for that matter, I am under the impression that the tabs are there to hold the wire so that it does not back out of the box. In the old metal box days they had punchouts that you put a clamp connector which holds the wire.

I would recommend a call or visit to your inspectors office before you continue.

3. don costanza

don costanza Agent

Thanks Chris for the reply... that was our consensus as well. I saw a picture of someone that did what we are interested in doing but can't find that info, figures...when I need it I can't find it.

Best Regards
    Don

4. ErnieST

ErnieST Auditioning

Why do you need the large hole? Are you running a conduit to the box? As long as you properly terminate at the box with the appropriate fitting, I don't think there's anything in the code that prohibits making a larger hole.

My 2002 NESC is at my office but I can check tomorrow.

ErnieST - licensed master electrician

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    What is going into the box, Don? If it's low voltage (RG-6, phone, etc.) you don't need a box at all.

6. don costanza

don costanza Agent

Sorry for the delay in getting back with everyone...the reason we were going to need to put a hole in the box was to connect the flex-conduit to it. ErnieST even mentioned this in one of his posts.

Thanks for the input...

Best Regards
    Don

7. Gary Silverman

Gary Silverman Stunt Coordinator

Don, As long as the flex terminates at the box with a flex connector, you'll have no problem with any inspector, no matter what you're bringing into the box.

8. don costanza

don costanza Agent

Thanks Gary for the input. We were to go out this weekend and start putting holes in the studs but I made the call (to the relief of everyone helping)to hold off until this coming weekend. Just too darn cold even with space heaters...
    Best Regards
    Don