Modifying feet on downfiring Sub......Question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Matt*B, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Matt*B

Matt*B Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,

Ok, I have a 10 inch, downfiring Cerwin Vega subwoofer that i want to place inside a cabinet in my entertainment center. However, it is about 1 inch too tall. For now, i have the sub on its side with the legs against the wall -- this just fits, and i assumed that placing the legs against the wall would help simulate the downfiring aspect by playing off of the wall...This sounds great, but i would much rather have the sub sitting upright as intended.

Now, the stock legs are about 2 1/2 inches high. They are fastened with screws and can easily be removed. Instead of cutting the legs shorter so solve the problem, (i want to keep them incase i move it later) I would like to modify the legs/feet by creating my own.

Now, since the sub won't be seen, aesthetics are not a problem - wood blocks will suffice. If i created a new set of legs (no problem with the woodshop) that were 1 1/2 inches high instead - would the sound be affected enough to notice? I know that i could simply try it and see, but i wanted to check and see if there was some kind of cardinal rule against reducing the space between the sub and the floor with a downfiring sub. it's a 10 inch Cerwin Vega.
    Please let me know if you have any input....

Thanks,

Matt
    [email protected]

2. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

3. Matt*B

Matt*B Stunt Coordinator

Hello....

The sub doesn't rattle anything in the entertainment center -- that was never an issue. If i took the legs off, however, it would be resting on the face of the speaker -- that won't work. As far as the foam goes -- what exactly did you mean? I don't really have an issue with rattling, moving, etc -- just wanted to know about the fitting..... although, i have some of that foam, and i could just double sided sticky take four feet on to whatever size i needed -- i just wanted to see if lowering it about an inch close to the floor will affect sound....

Thanks for your response,

Matt

4. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

5. Matt*B

Matt*B Stunt Coordinator

Hello....

Yea, the sub will fit on it's side with the driver facing out. As i mentioned, right not the legs (and in turn, the driver) are facing the wall to "simulate" floor driven functionality. So, yea, i could easlily rotate the sub to have the driver face out. Although there are 2 glass doors there.... which can be removed -- but i wouldnt want the driver exposed like that without protection...

Matt!

6. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor