Modifying Bill's Diagram

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BobHaymond, Feb 28, 2002.

1. BobHaymond

BobHaymond Stunt Coordinator

Here's what I get from several posts on cables for PIP/VCR with DirecTV Sat and modifying Bill Catherall's diagram:

Symbols: RA RCA audio

DA digital audio

cV composite video

SV S-video

CV component video

Cables:

Sat #1----(SV,DA)--->TV

----(cV,RA)--->VCR

VCR-------(cV,RA)---->TV

Sat #2----(SV,DA)---->A/V

A/V-------(SV,DA)---->TV

DVD-------(DA)------->A/V

-------(CV)------->TV

Unless I learn better I'll order these cables. I'll begin with remote juggling but will get a Pronto when I learn enough.

Appreciate the help I've received and appreciate any new comments.

BH

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Bob - I've been trying to look up information on your TV, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I want to know how many actual A/V "channels" your TV has. In other words, there are 2 component inputs, 3 S-video inputs, and 4 composite inputs...but how many of these are shared? Does AV1 share one S-video and 1 composite. Does each video input type have it's own selector? Do you know what I mean?

In other words, can you have one component input, 2 S-video inputs, and one composite input all connected to the TV at the same time? That's 4 inputs.

Second, why do you have the digital audio connection to your TV from Sat #1? Can your TV process or pass a digital connection? I would think that would need to go straight to the A/V receiver.

3. BobHaymond

BobHaymond Stunt Coordinator

Bill: Thanks so much for the reply. I do not know the answers to your questions. I have been studying the manual for the Sony and will do so some more with your queries in mind. The manual is poorly done in my opinion; for example they don't list any audio connection as digital. I can guess which one are digital but manuals should not be designed to require gesses! I'll also see if I can find suitable places to ask others who have experience with this TV.

I was looking at the manual again and was about to tell you what you had just told me. I do not know of the sharing part.

It looks like I can not connect digital audio from Sat #1.

I recon what I'll do for now is order a minimal number of cables and see if experience shows what to do next.