Modifying auto turn-off delay on Sony WM40 sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett_H, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

All,

My Sony sub has the annoying habit on turning on and off while listening to material that doesn't have much bass or while listening at lower volume levels. I know this is due to the fact that I'm running it in auto turn on and shut off mode and that it's not receiving a strong enough signal to remain on. My thought was that it would be nice to be able to increase the time that it takes for the sub to turn off after the last signal is received. Does anyone know if this is possible, possibly by adding/modifying a resistor/capacitor/electrical doo-dad or something? On my old receiver I just plugged the sub into the switched outlet, but this new receiver (HK AVR 520) states not to do that.

Probably a long shot, but if anyone's got ideas I'd like to hear them.

Thanks,
    -Brett.

2. Jeff-Watson

Jeff-Watson Stunt Coordinator

Hey Brett,

With my wm40 I just run the lfe signal from my Yamaha about 3db hot and turn the amp on the sub down a little. This keeps a stronger signal coming to the sub and causes it to stay on for almost every movie I have. As far as modifying the circuit in the sub itself to delay the shutoff for a longer period I am not sure on that one.

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Brett,

Jeff is correct. Turn the volume on your subwoofer down to somewhere between 1/4 to 1/2 and then turn the sub out volume on your receiver up in order to calibrate properly. This will stop the sub auto function from turning on and off so much.

4. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Sony-40 for 150.00, Alex?
    What is-Jeffs and Brians answer, Alex
    Correct-ah-mundo [​IMG]
    May not totally cure the problem, but should help reduce the amount of times it's shutting off. Some of the auto feature work better than others in the same line, why, ask Sony....
    Others have complained of the same Sony problem, so don't feel alone.
    I had a KG-5150 DIY sub amp Driving a SB-4 ported 15" that acted the same way, just finaly had to leave it on all the time or just turn it on and off when we wanted to use it. The neighbor has the problem now as he bought it!! [​IMG]
    He just leaves it on all the time, been that way for almost 2-years no problems...
    If it continues even after setting it up this way, you might just leave it on all the time as he dose.. The voltage draw is minior.
    Happy NY-day all
    Geoff

5. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

All,

Thanks for the replies! I'll try bumping the sub level for all the inputs a few db's and see what that does.

-Brett.