What's new

modifying a kit (1 Viewer)

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
because i live in a high-rise apartment complex, i can't build cabinets (especially work with MDF; the dust would be too much).
my idea is this; to take the speakerpage.com bookshelf kit (which don't come with cabinets) and shove them into one of the pre-cut enclosures from Parts Express. some links:
http://www.speakerpage.com/K05B10plans.htm
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=300-704
The best part is that the PE cabinet is a little bigger internally than the cabinet which the speakerpage.com kit calls for. Plus, the pre-cut holes in the included baffles in the PE cabinet are a little smaller than the holes called for, which means i can use my Dremel to widen them.
Question is this: what is the best method of shrinking the inside of the PE cabinet to match that of the recommended internal volume for the speakerpage.com kit? Will a difference of 125"^3 make much sonic difference after being stuffed with polyfill?
P.S. yes i know the kit specifies a port for the cabinet; i don't have a problem using a small jigsaw to cut PVC or the whole for the port; but a circular saw and major MDF cutting is out of the question.
Thanks

A

Anthony_Gomez

Poyfill actually increases the effective size.

something to consider is that an XO is usually designed with a specific baffle dimension. the PE kit might not match it. How about just gettinthe BR-1 kit at PE?..comes with a completed cabinet!

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
of course, i looked at the BR-1, but somebody i trust told me they liked the sound of the K05B10 better than any Dayton driver they have heard. Another reason is that i would like to "finish" the cabinet myself, with either paint or veneer.

when you say "baffle dimension" do you mean the thickness of the baffle material? i would assume that as long as the internal volume of the cabinet can be matched, the crossover shouldn't need to be modified(?)

Thanks for the quick replies!

A

Anthony_Gomez

In terms of the baffle, i actually mean 3 different baffle relatedthings...all of which can have anywhere from a slight to a drastic change in sonic performance if any of them are modified from the original spec.

1) Height and width

2) driver placement/offset

3) flushmounting

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
i never imagined it would be so complicated. time to pick up some reading material, perhaps!

gosh, i really dislike living in an apartment. anybody want to fund a downpayment for my new house?

i am sure the BR-1 kit sounds fine, but i would at least like to finish the cabinet something other than black, y'know?

everybody i know lives in an apartment. the cost of the tools i don't have is just as much as the BR-1 kit, too.

thanks anyway!

A

Anthony_Gomez

Lets try this: What is your budget for a DIY speaker. Meaning $$$ for EVERYTHING except the tools.

Maybe we can come up with a kit that can come in raw MDF that will meet your price range

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
i was shooting for $300 for everything except the tools. I DO have a cordless drill/driver and a dremel and a power sander.

i think i will pick up the famous "loudspeaker cookbook" and start there!

thanks!

Andy Watts

Grip
Question is this: what is the best method of shrinking the inside of the PE cabinet to match that of the recommended internal volume for the speakerpage.com kit? Will a difference of 125"^3 make much sonic difference after being stuffed with polyfill?
You could add extra wood to take up some of the space in the cabinet.

Andy

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
that is what i was originally thinking about doing, but after the feedback this thread got, i am going to wait for them to release some more kits.

thanks anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks