What's new

modest new turntable system (1 Viewer)

I want to finally get a turntable and I have to do so on a budget. My reciever is a HK 210 with no phono stage and using NHT speakers.

i am looking into the music hall 2.1 turntable and the NAD pp-2 preamp. I have read that these are both respected components for the price. Does anyone know about how much money I am looking at for both? There doesn't seem to be many places to buy these online. Also are there any other things I would need to buy to get my analog system going? Thanks.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I've got a 2.1 and a MusicHall phono stage as well. The TT will set you back about $300 and the phono stage was around $100.

I'm more than satisfied with the performance of both. Sure there are better phono amps available, but mine meets my needs.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If you want a little more flexibility you can look into preamps that allow you to vary the 'shunt capacitance'. Cartridges and interconnects can have various capacitances and by having the ability to vary the capacitance at the preamp, this will allow you to optimise the high frequency to get a flatter response. For example, consider the following formula...

C(cartridge) - C(all the connections leading up to the preamp) - C(preamp)

will, if the value is 0, lead to a flat FR within the confines of the RIAA specification. Usually they give you the capacitance of the cartridge and the preamp. Maybe you can get the second term. Maybe you can't. Having the ability to vary the capacitance at the preamp end as opposed to playing with cables can provide you with the means to further enhance your listening pleasure.

Another option that you might want to consider would be going with turntables that have digital outs like a few of the Stantons. That just might solve some of your concerns. Usually you'll find them at various pro sites like your local Guitar Center usually discounted about 50%.

Philip>L

Stunt Coordinator
I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the MMF 5.0 that I bought...

If you need a source for a 2.1, I have one. PM me and I'll put you in contact.

sounds like this may be the setup I am going with. I was just browsing ebay and came across this place selling 1A power supplies for the NAD pp-2 saying that the factory 100mA is too small and that their larger power supply will give better response. is their any truth in this?

philip, I will PM you about the contact.

Chu gai, I am very new to turntables and I am not real sure what you are talking about. Can you recommend some preamps to look at that have this ability to vary the 'shunt capacitance'.

also, I saw on some website that you should be a tool to measure the pressure of the needle on the record. is it a good idea to get one of these things to balance the tonearm?

thanks for all the help.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
You can try needledoctor.com for units that have that capability but it's going to cost. Another source for phono preamps is phonopreamps.com.

KrisM

Second Unit
You will want a carbon-fibre brush to get rid of dust on the album before you play it. These are pretty cheap.
A stylus gauge is a good idea, but if you are buying a new table and are not sure how to set it up, you should buy from a knowledgable local dealer who will set it up for you.
There is a ton of info on vinyl on the web. The vinyl section of audioasylum.com has alot of good links.
Are you planning on using only new vinyl or are you going to buy used as well? If you go used, you will want a way to clean the records. There are expensive systems and cheap DIY ways as well.
Depending on the type of music you like, I would strongly suggest buying used vinyl. If you have the patience, there is alot of quality used vinyl out there, at cheap prices. Since the start of this year I've bought about 150-200 pop/rock/jazz/blues titles and about 600 classical titles, all for about $300CDN(I've lost track of the exact amount). My wife also was given about 100 classical titles for free.
I think I'll go spin one of my 50 cent, near-mint copies of Dire Staits - Love Over Gold.:)

Regards
KrisM

Philip>L

Stunt Coordinator
I got my MMF-5 the other day and got it all set up in very little time.

The vinyl I've played so far sounds great... it will sound even better once I get a good record cleaning system in place...

Thanks for bringing this thread up. I was just about to get some more info from you guys.

Philip, thats awesome that you got your mmf 5. what components are you using other than your mmf 5? what do you mean by record cleaning system in place? Are you planning on a big expensive machine, or do you mean a good process to clean your records? I have not heard anything from your contact though. Should I try and contact him?

some other questions that I have-

I would like to stick to new virgin vinyl, but I am sure that i will be spinning some used stuff. I was able to order a copy of a Pearl Jam limited edition (2000 copies) 180g LP set, which is the thing that I want to hear more than anything else. My dad has some awesome records, for instance I am listening to Star Wars right now. But his copy of Dark Side of the Moon has been leaning for probably the past 10 years, and the record is not flat by any means. Will using records like these on my new turntable cause anything bad for my new virgin vinyls?

here is my list of stuff to get so far...

Music Hall 2.1
NAD PP-2 preamp
some carbon fiber brush
Shure SFG-2 stylus force gauge

anything else that would be helpful to me?

thanks again for all the help you guys provide.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks