Modest dipole surround suggestions?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Denton, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Denton

Denton Stunt Coordinator

Denton
    I'm currently looking at some dipole surrounds for use in my HT. (Music is run 2 channel only [​IMG] )

I'm considering Mordaunt Short MS-506 THX Dipole Speakers and Diva R3 Dipole Surround Speakers, both of which are available at about $400 a pair. I'll be using 5.1 only with Paradigm Reference Studio 100's in front and the matching center channel. Power is provided by an Onkyo THX certified receiver with >100 watts per channel. The room is small and nearly overwhelmed by my Hitachi 65" RPTV.

Comments? Suggestions?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Never heard the Divas, but I have 902s in my 2ch bedroom system and I am very impressed with them. They will probably blend acceptably with the Studios, as they also have aluminum tweeters. I actually feel the aluminum drivers and 1st order x-overs in the 902s made them smoother and more clean than the v2 Studio 20s I compared them to in this setup.

I was *this* close to buying an all MS setup for my main system...

BTW, if you have a small room, you might be better off with monopoles, unless you must wall mount.

3. Denton

Denton Stunt Coordinator

Denton
    Thanks, John. I currently am running monopoles as surrounds mounted on the side walls facing overhead as recommended. But the room is so small that the seats are against the back wall and the surrounds nearly in the corners. If I try dipoles they'll end up in the same locations.