Modest budget for receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Joe_on, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Joe_on

Joe_on Stunt Coordinator

I have a Sony 36XBR800 and I am making gradual steps to building a Home theater. Living in Los Angeles , there is a Sony outlet in Lake Esinore and they will be selling a Sony receiver STR-DA3ES for 400 dollars coming in a shipment soon. I talked to a knowleagable sales guy and he said these are great receiver and for the price a steal, they are refurbished.
    I want to get a good receiver basically for movies, then saves a few bucks and get good speakers.

Your thoughts and comments please, TIA

2. Page Ferrell

Page Ferrell Agent

Check out the Outlaw 1050 receiver (it may be extinct soon, but there's a replacement coming in the summer around the same price point; a little higher). This is an internet only company, but fret not, they are very good, and very legit. I have one of these for home theater only; it is very good ($550 delivered). My lazy newbie gut tells me that there have to be zillions of threads with a discussion of this product already posted.

3. Chester II

Chester II Stunt Coordinator

Dude,

That's a good receiver. The price sounds good as long as it has a warranty. If you are new to home theater stuff then you'll be happy with it for a long time. Good luck

Dude,

Chester

4. Joe_on

Joe_on Stunt Coordinator

A follow up question, regarding speakers. I was looking at the Sony sa-ve535 for 300 and change. Then a guy at GG said, spend less on the receiver and spend more on the speakers. I told him my living room is small, I live in condo and he showed me the Bose AM6. They going for 699 and I must admit, they sounded sweet.

Your thoughts. I saw a Bose in ebay for 400 and change, is the bose way better then the SA-Ve 535.?

5. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

6. Joe_on

Joe_on Stunt Coordinator

Mike, I read the specs on the Fluance speakers and its impressive. Im a newbie so the specs dont mean a lot but just the fact that there is a long string of them compare to the bose is impressive.
    One problem is that I have the Gray stand w Sony 36XBR and having beech finish will definitely not go with the overall design. My wife will have my hide on the other hand, the bose is small and black and my wife I know can live with that.

You not to impress with the Bose AM6? I just saw them at Sam Club for $398.00 That's a doable price and it includes the cable, what it doesnt includes are the stands.

7. Chester II

Chester II Stunt Coordinator

Dudes,

The Good (yet mediocre) Guys salesman is just interested in selling you speakers. Bose is mostly hype. Most people with an "ear" for music believe the sound is crap. I would recommend anything other than Bose. Educate yourself on building a decent and cheap 5.1 system. That is to say front left, front right, a center channel, rear left, and rear right. Add a subwoofer (that's the .1) and you'll be set. If you are looking to save money then look at Cambridge Soundworks or check out the new HSU Ventriloquist speaker system which you can get for $500.00 total. There is a whole world of good inexpensive speakers that will put a BOSE system to shame.....

Good luck dude,

Chester

8. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

This forum has a wealth of Bose threads. It's all been posted before, so you could use the Search feature and find out why many of us here are not too fond of Bose.

If you presented us with a budget, we could guide you in the right direction for a receiver and/or speakers. But that 3ES sounds good for that price. Now just to find a worthy set of speakers...

9. EugeneR

EugeneR Second Unit

That part of it was definitely good advice. You can get a very nice reciever for $300-400 but you'd be hard pressed to find a set of 5 good-sounding speakers for that. If you do a little research on this site, you will find lots of recommendations for speakers that will be a lot cheaper than Bose and will sound a whole lot better.

10. Joe_on

Joe_on Stunt Coordinator

That is basically what i want is for the 500 range ,good speakers, I will not buy the Bose speakers that is for sure. Im kicking some names around like rocket tykes, paradrim, energy and now ventriloquist. I just want rich sourround sounds, that I can listen to the rain on my rear speakers and it sounds like its raining outside.