What's new

Modern Family - season 1 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I got a few chuckles. I think the show works best when the actors are shown to be not aware of the cameras (except for the interview segments).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It was a windy night, so my reception over the old rabbit ears was touch-and-go but I liked what I saw. Ed O'Neill's character is easily shaping up to be the most interesting character. I also like the sickeningly precocious middle child and the whole Costco story line.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
This show is starting to bug me and I can't put my finger on it. But I do feel like a lot of the jokes fall flat, and the jokes are too predictable, especially in light of the setups developing so slowly. Not only do you see the punchlines coming from a mile away, they walk towards you in real time. Too many minutes pass between the time you figured out the punchline and its actual delivery.

Sofia Vergara is given too much dialog at a time. She was much better in Knights of Prosperity -- in Modern Family, it feels like torture listening to her get through a block of exposition. She takes too long trying to enunciate the words properly, and it makes me impatient and agitated.

Actually, that's the reason this show bugs me -- those drawn out punchlines make me impatient and agitated. I feel like the Dave character in that Bob & Dave skit with Bob Eliot as the slow talker. Thank you, Sofia, for letting me see the light. The itch is now scratched.

One more week and it's outta here.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Whoops -- yes, Bob & Ray. BTW, it dawned on me that Abby Eliot is 2nd gen SNL but 3rd gen American comedy family.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I like the way each episode is built around a theme that builds to a point at the end. One thing I don't get is how since the Julie Bowen/Ty Burrell family always seems to be missing a child. They don't even bother to explain where they've gone. They just rotate in and out.

Loved Shelly Long's appearance as Jay's more age-appropriate first wife. The final beat with everybody singing Dylan's song about having sex with the oldest daughter had me rolling.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It was pretty obvious that Dylan's song was going to be about having sex with the daughter, but the montage of the principals singing it over the credits was pretty hilarious. I did think all of the Shelly Long scenes were belabored and none of them had much in the way of payoff (the "incident" at the wedding was rather lame in my book). The catfight with Sofia was thoroughly unconvincing, but when Ty Burrell unnecessarily and repeatedly restrained her to cop a feel, I LOL'd.

Julie Bowen looked especially MILF-y, and the older daughter looks like a cross between Mila Kunis and a Bratz doll. Which is odd since Mila Kunis already looks like a Bratz doll.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Tonight's episode was probably my favorite yet. It was the first episode since the pilot with the entire cast in one place, and while Gloria remains the weak link, everyone else is really starting to play off one another really comfortably. I love that Cameron the queen was a college football player, and I love just about every scene with Ed O'Neill. The whole topic of a parent's love life I found particularly amusing; as an only child, in high school I'd love to tease my buddies with younger siblings by reminding them that their parents must have continued having sex after they were born. I grew up in a small house, so this idea was no great revelation to me but it freaked some kids right out. One of my friends state Claire's line to Mitchell (about his parents only have sex twice as far as he was concerned) almost verbatim.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
That was the first complete episode of the show so far, without the draggy unfunny spots that prevent it from measuring up to shows like Community and The Office. And Ty Burrell was as uncomfortably funny as anyone this side of David Brent.

"He wears aftershave and dresses like a count"

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I get the show is funny in spots, but not much of makes me LOL. Maybe I'm turning into a grumpy old dude.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

I get the show is funny in spots, but not much of makes me LOL. Maybe I'm turning into a grumpy old dude.
It's definitely not a laugh-out-loud show. I don't think it's really designed to be. I really like most of the characters, though, so that's alright with me.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I LOL'd quite a few times tonight, which is why it was so much better than the usual boredom and groaning the show elicits.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I find this show to be more along the lines of "King of the Hill" - enjoyable but not to a point of LOL (as others have mentioned).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What amazes me is how not gay Eric Stonestreet, who plays Cameron, is in real life. His voice, body language, everything is completely different. Jerry Tyler Ferguson, on the other hand, comes across pretty much exactly like Mitchell.

Gwon Chang

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know what show you guys are watching, but I am on the floor almost every week. My favorite new show of the season by far.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
When Haley hit Phil with the car as he was doing his victory dance after Claire threw the race, I just about died. Same with Cameron running toward the car with the cigarette bin over his head as a battering ram while Mitchell was on the phone with OnStar. I also liked how he got increasingly racist with the pediatrician as the tension rose in the exam room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks