What's new

Modern/contemporary furnishings and decor? (1 Viewer)

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
I've begun a project to furnish and decorate my home. My tastes run toward modern and contemporary furniture, artwork, sculptures, lighting, etc.

Many of the stores near me that specialize in this kind of stuff are VERY, VERY expensive. There is one local place that is both affordable and modern, Eurway, but even they don't have absolutely everything I want.

Has anyone out there found any good on-line sources for this kind of stuff? I have most of my basic furniture (couches, coffee tables, bedroom sets, dining set, etc.) but need to get things like sculptures, artwork, and decorative accessories. Most of my walls are still bare, and I have lots of unadorned cabinets, tables, and surfaces.

ObHT: Any ideas about how to give a home theater that modern/contemporary look while still decorating for home theater performance? I'm thinking about things like how to paint/decorate the walls, store CD/DVD collections, etc.

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
One more thing ... I have looked through the IKEA catalog and visited their showroom in Houston. I've bought a few things there but they don't have a lot of decorative accessories. The quality/style of their products seems to have declined lately, so I probably won't be getting much from them in the future except for things like framed prints...

John Watson

Screenwriter
Have you considered second hand or antique stores?

You might find damn fine Art deco or Swedish modern "retro" furnishings in those places.

Personally, some nice art glass, as at Kosta Boda, does wonders for me. You can probably find online dealers right in the States

http://www.kostaboda.se/

PS I endorse your opinion of Ikea.

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Daniel -

In defense of Eurway, their Web site has only a tiny fraction of the selection that their retail stores do. I've found they are a good 'bang for the buck' modern/contemporary furniture store. Their stuff fills the void between the cheaply made IKEA stuff (which now seems barely better than Wal-Mart or Target) and the ultra-expensive, handcrafted Italian and Danish imports.

Thanks for the recommendations of manufacturers, designers, and sites. I will check it all out and see what strikes my fancy...

John -

I'll have to check the used furniture stores around here. In the past I haven't seen much contemporary/modern stuff there. I'll probably just have to keep an eye on various places to see what comes in from time to time.

---

Right now, I'm looking more for things like wall art, sculptures, and accessories rather than major furniture pieces. Any other thoughts on where to get contemporary/modern-styled stuff???

Pascal A

Second Unit
I've ordered some Kartell Citterio Mobil storage from Retromodern last year.

I currently have an outstanding order with Europe by Net in the UK for some Maxalto pieces which, by far, has the best prices on B&B Italia and Maxalto that I've seen (even with shipping to the US). The only problem is, I've hit the August factory shutdown in Italy so my furniture won't be delivered until October. :frowning:

I've also ordered an Eames Elliptical (surfboard) coffee table from Circa 50 a few years ago, and they definitely have the best prices on Herman Miller (especially with the demise of the online HMstore last year).

Edit: Oops! Fixed the link.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks