Modern Chevy Impala forums recommendations

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Keith Mickunas, May 17, 2003.

1. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I'm considering buying the new Impala SS that is being released in the fall. Can anyone recommend any good Chevy forums especially ones specific to the current Impala, and techical ones about the 3800 V6 and the supercharged version fo that engine?

Also does anyone here have experience either with this car or the supercharged V6? I had a '97 Camaro with the 3800 and liked it, but I've got no experience with a supercharged engine.

2. Jeff_Krueger

Jeff_Krueger Stunt Coordinator

No first hand experience with the 3.8SC my self but they appear to be easy to mod for close to 300hp check out the Grand Prix Store they have some parts for both the SC version on the NA version of the 3.8

3. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

My dad has the Buick Regal GS, which I believe has the 3800 supercharged plant. The Impala SS is probably tuned a bit hotter, but its a decent engine...the only problem is the amount of weight it has to push.

He had to replace the exhaust system last year, not sure if that will share any bits with the new SS; the new performace muffler he got does sound nice, even if it is just a V6 [​IMG] .

4. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

a great website is GMPowertalk.com I used to go there all the time I've got a 98 Grand Am lots of great info and greatu users sorta like HTF.

5. Keith Mickunas

Thanks for the input guys.

Jeremy, that looks like what I'm looking for. I've found some other stuff dedicated to the Impala, but it doesn't have much traffic. This site appears to be rather broad and will hopefully provide me some info.

Jeff, it looks like they've added a dedicated Impala store. It'll probably take a bit of time before supercharged Impala stuff shows up, but it'll most likely be the same.

Matt, the Impala SS will be tuned to 240HP and 280 lbs/ft with a pretty nice power curve. I believe there is a Pontiac that gets 260HP, so there's definitely some quick HP to find with some minor mods I'm sure.

I went looking at the current Impalas this weekend to get a feel for them. I'm not 100% sure I'll be happy with the drop in quality and refinement compared to my Jetta. The fit and finish of the Jetta's interior is so much better than the Impala. But I'd love the increase in power. It'd be about a 50% increase in torque, with only a two or three hundred extra pounds to haul around. That should be very noticeable.

6. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    not sure if you can find info on the v6, but ls1.com rocks!

7. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I was keen on an Olds Intrigue, but then I took a GTP for a test drive. I was used to my '94 Beretta Z26, and hit the gas a little too hard in the GTP. Nonetheless, the accidently squealing tires out of the dealership sold me on the supercharged version of the 3.8 over the standard one. I didn't get one for a couple of years, though.

Side note: I first became interested in the supercharged 3800s because you can fit one into a Beretta without any body modifications (there is a guy with a Cavalier that did it).

I picked up my '00 Grand Prix GTP with 32k early last year for $15,500 or so. My interest was a fast car that was roomy and could be had with lots of options (the heads-up display is too cool). I have lots of fun outracing old 5.0 Mustangs and riceburner-modded cars.
    Anyway, I wasn't very helpful as to good sites, but I wanted to comment. Very happy with my GTP, although now I miss the teeny tiny $145 car payment on my old Beretta. You might want to check out the forums at clubgp.com, a Grand Prix site but they have forums for the other similiar-powered cars (like the Impala forum).

Edit: here's a good quote on my model of Grand Prix:

8. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I'm planning on Supercharging my Quad 4, I've found that Manatapart.com makes some pretty nice stuff for the Quad's, though even stock with just intake I can take out many of the little Hon-Duh's outthere [​IMG]

9. Jeff_Krueger

Jeff_Krueger Stunt Coordinator

Yeah I would say the Bonnevilles are nice, I know I like mine, even though it is only an SSE with the NA engine. Sometimes I wish I got the SSEi for the supercharged engine just because the easy bolt on power potential. I will say this though even though the NA version of the 3.8 only puts out 205HP it moves my heavy car pretty good, while getting respectable gas mileage. When you look at it the 3.8 is tuned pretty conservatively since it serves multiple duty among GM's entire line up of cars. Also check out www.thrashercharged.com for some 3.8 parts

10. Keith Mickunas

Hmm, a Buick? No, I don't think I can do that. My parents retired, bought a Buick, and moved to Florida. It just has a certain stigma. The Bonneville is kind of nice, I've liked those for a number of years now, but they are a bit big. I really like the looks for the new Impala SS compared to most of the other GMs (in my price range).

Dave, what's your experience with the mileage on long trips? My Jetta has similar ratings, but dman if the mileage doesn't suck. When I go back to Kansas City, I cruise at over 70mph most of the way, and I get mid-20's tops. My Camaro was a lot better than that. If I recall correctly, the Camaro would cruise at a wee bit over 2000rpm in the 70mph range. The Jetta ends up a bit over 3000rpm. Of course, I guess some of that comes from the drive ratio, and I don't understand a lot about that. Is a final drive ratio of 2.93 good for highway speeds, or is that for acceleration?

11. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Keith,

I don't know much about the new Impala (I'm not a GM fan, except for the Vette), but I've seen reviews on the redesigned Grand Prix GTP and they look positive. Also looks like Pontiac is finally getting interiors right.

What are your needs in a vehicle and price range?

Mike D.

12. Keith Mickunas

Needs? I don't really have those beyond the basics of getting to work and back. Now desires, that's something different.

Really I'm quite fickle. I bought the Jetta, and had intended to keep that until I could afford an Audi S4, or a Vette, or ... Basically I change my mind often. Fortunately I have little debt and own the Jetta.

My price range right now is $30k or there abouts. That gives me lots of options. Here's a short list of cars I might want to buy:
    new Audi S4 (whenever it comes)
    Audi S3 (if it ever comes)
    VW Golf R32
    Mini Cooper
    Corvette (always on my list, always will be)
    Impala SS

For the most part I'm not too interested in GMs anymore. I was brought up on those, and prior to the Jetta I had a '77 Impala, '89 Cutlass Cierra International, '95 Cavalier LS, and a '97 Camaro. Granted the new Impala SS and my Impala really aren't related to the classics, but there's still some heritage there. For the past several years I've felt that GM is really lacking in certain areas, Chevy is too cheap, Pontiacs were a bit garish, although that's changing, Buick, Olds, and Caddy are too old. They're basically ignoring the 25 to 40 year old decent money earning bracket that BMW, VW, Audi, Mercedes, Honda, Acura, Nissan, Infinity, Lexus, etc. all market to quite successfully. But I feel like the Impala SS is finally a step in the right direction. And I really lusted for a '94 to '96 SS, so this one has really caught my eye because its close, without being so damn big.

Really what I want is a smallish car packed with all the cool features. I'd like a good, powerful engine, good tranny, leather, power everything, heated seats, sunroof, and all the latest gadgets. The Audi S3 would be ideal, but they aren't introducing the A3 here until 2005, and its hard to say if they'll ever bring over the S3. If VW puts the DSG transmission in the Golf R32, I might go with that. Hopefully that news will be out before the Impala, as the VW is scheduled to come here around December or January.

Oh, and I have a GM Mastercard. I've had it for years and used it on the Cavalier and Camaro. I've got over $2800 on it now. Even if I have to pay sticker, which will likely be near $30k, I'll get around 10% off. Plus I should get a good trade on my Jetta.

Hmm, that GTP doesn't look too bad, I may have to investigate that some.

13. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I am fond of the look on the new '03 Grand Prix and the post- '00 Bonnevilles. I am not very pleased with GM looks these days. I loved my Beretta, but they didn't replace it with anything (the Malibu being a Corsica replacement). No sporty V6 4-seater Chevy to replace the Beretta. I was fond of Aleros, also killed off with the death of Oldsmobile. Grand Ams are too garish these days, although they are getting better. I might end up with an import next time I switch (possibly a sporty Nissan or Mazda), but that hopefully won't be for 4 or 5 years.

And speaking of Quad4s, and I had very very very very bad luck with my Quad4 '92 Grand Am (about $2-3k in a year...head gaskets, camshafts, pulleys, you name it, it broke. I am still paying off the credit cards from that one)

As far as mileage in my GTP, the listed ratings are pretty close to right on. The digital trip computer figures out the gas mileage based on how many gallons you've used since you last reset it (so it is pretty accurate). I drive 80mph on the freeway all the time. On the couple of trips we have taken (via freeway and highway) I got 29.9 and 30.1 mpg freeway (about 2200 RPMs @ 80mph). Admittedly, city driving tends to be a lot worse if you are hasty (like me). I have pulled as bad as 14 on a city tank. My 99 gallon average that I did a couple of times (mix of city and freeway driving) ends up around 22mpg.

14. Keith Mickunas

Wow Dave, that's pretty good. If I do a lot of city driving, I average about 19, however I think the best I got on a trip to KC was about 24, and its not like I was driving 100mph. My guess is the gearing is such that if I stayed at abbut 65 or 70 I'd do better, but I go with traffic, or what I can get away with, and it sucks up the gas, and its premium to boot.

I'm definitely going to check out the '04 GTP. Getting one loaded looks like a pretty sweet ride. From what I can see on the website, it is much more refined than I thought it would be. And some of its gadgets look pretty cool. Does it come with the garage door transmitter? I can't seem to find that mentioned yet the Impala has it currently. I like that finally added one of those auto-stick features, of course they're several years behind everyone else.

Well now that I've got another GM to do some comparison shopping against, this will make my negotiations easier. Since there's a lot of similarity between the Impala and Grand Prix, and lots of Chevy and Pontiac dealers to choose from, I should get a pretty good deal. Thanks for pointing out the GTP Dave.

15. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

You realize when the S4 comes out, it will be in the mid 40's, probably 50's with all options. That's one of my dream cars, by the way. I'm a huge Audi fan. My previous vehicle was a '99 A4 2.8 quattro. Great car, but I had to lease it at the time.

Since you own the Jetta, do you plan to trade it in, or will this new car be a 2nd car? If so, go for a convertible [​IMG] That's my plan in 3 years when my current vehicle, a '03 Subaru WRX, is paid off. I'm thinking convertible Mustang GT [​IMG]

Anyway, that's a diverse list you have there. The A3 is certainly interesting, especially if they bring over the S3 [​IMG] The VW Golf R32 is another sweet little car. Have you seen the new WRX's? No more bug eyes that everyone hates (except their owners, such as myself), and now can be had with sunroof and heated seats, although no leather. It also comes in under $30K by a few grand. Test drive one, you'll be surprised [​IMG]

Mike D.

16. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

17. Keith Mickunas

I've actually heard that the 3800's heritage goes back to the earlies V6's, although that could just be a reference to the 90 degree V6. I've heard nothing but good things about that engine, and I'm fairly sure that the supercharged versions have been around long enough to be proven reliable also.

The more I look at the GTP, the more interested I become. I'm going to check them out this weekend, and I may see about doing a 24 hour test drive soon. Unless Chevy is overhauling the interior for 2004, I might rather have the Pontiac.

Mike, the S4 and Vette stay on my list in case I start making more money. Technically I could afford them, but then money would be too tight for the other joys in life, namely a set of M&K's, hopefully early next year. I'll be trading in the Jetta if I buy something new. I can't justify two cars right now, although sometimes I think about buying a classic Bug or Mini.

18. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i've been wondering something about the modern impala.

wasnt the bel aire the one that only had the 2 round tail lights like the mod impala?

and didnt the old impala have 3 round tail lights?

if so other then, thats what they called it, what makes the modern impala an impala and not a bel aire?

19. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

I wish they would post more info. From the looks of the engine it's not rear-wheel drive. It looks like they may have done some tweeking to the body style but not much.

[​IMG]

20. Keith Mickunas

Frank, it is FWD. That's one of the complaints the magazines have about the SS, that its FWD and a V6, not a V8.