What's new

Modem fouling up entire system (1 Viewer)

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
How can a PCI modem keep a system from booting? I got to the point in assembling a new system to put the modem from my old PC in, and when I try to power up with the modem in, I get nothing. All drives spin up, but I get nothing. No drive checks, can't get to the BIOS, the hard drive isn't accessed at all.

If I power down, pull the modem and power back up, it boots with no problem. What's the deal here?

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
Geez Mike, you are having all kinds of bad luck with this system!

I would suggest making sure the modem is set to Plug and Play mode, and maybe try using a different PCI slot. I have heard tales of either the first or the last PCI slots not working when the AGP slot is in use.

What brand/model is the modem?

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Actually, since this is the first system that I've assembled from scratch, I'm pretty pleased. I've been able to get around the video problem (kind of rigged, but it works for now) temporarily. The modem thing......well, modems are cheap and I know how easily they get fried (this is my 3rd or 4th modem...just never had one do this) so if I have to replace it, no big deal.
Otherwise, I'm extremely happy with the system. I definitely like the AMD processor. It's extremely fast.....it's comparible to my P4 1.5ghz at work (not quite as fast, but much better than the Celeron 500 that died)

As for setting the modem to plug and play....that's a software setting, correct? If so, I can't even get into Windows with the thing plugged up.

Seems like I tried it in the last and next to last slots, but I'll move it around some more.

As for the brand.....I'm not sure. I'd have to check it out later.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Perhaps it's a power problem? How many watts does your power supply put out? Could possibly be a short, i.e. a defective modem, is this a new one or taken from an older system? You might also check the PCI slot, make sure all the contacts are clean and in place, not touching another or bent.. You're not even getting through POST in the bios so it sounds really basic, like a power problem or short problem.

If you can, try the modem in another system and see if that PC boots up..

Jay

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
As for setting the modem to plug and play....that's a software setting, correct?
Many older modems have jumper settings that need to be set. Depending on which pins you close, it will set itself to COM1, 2, 3, 4 etc or Plug And Play. Make sure that the modem has the jumper set properly (usually the settings are screen-printed right on the PCB, it will show you which pins need to be closed for PnP).

If that doesnt work, then it is probably fried. I have also had a couple modems stop working (and a couple of network cards as well).

The first system I built was fun also. I hooked up the power connector to the floppy drive backwards, fried it. Fixed that, got everything installed and it worked fine. Then the next day it completely stopped working. Opened it back up, didnt notice anything wrong immediately, after some poking around I found the problem, the CPU had fallen out of the slot. Luckily it wasnt fried, plugged it back in (secured it in place this time) and all was well.

Jeff

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Mike, if it's any consolation I have a LinkSys 10/100 network card that not only kept my HP Pavilion 9905 from booting, it kept it from powering up! I'd hit the switch, hear a click, then nothing! Take the card out, turn it on, and the system came up without a problem!
Try putting it in another PCI slot. Some PCs have differing speeds on different PCI slots, so there might be an incompatibility issue with the particular slot that you're using. I've had this happen with PCI cards where, as Jeff mentioned, I have an AGP card installed, but I've also had it happen with non-AGP systems as well.
If the problem still doesn't rectify itself AND you have funds available, I cannot recommend strongly enough getting an external modem. I 100% refuse to get an internal modem should I ever lose my DSL connection. There are no conflicts because it utilizes existing COM ports and you have immediate feedback to the status of the modem, as well as instant portability to other PCs if necessary.
But, first thing's first. I would recommend moving the card to another PCI slot. It's also possible that the BIOS is crapping out on its POST, so maybe an upgrade to the newest BIOS revision in in order as well.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I'll try moving it around tonight and see if that gets me anywhere.

As for power, I've got a new 300 watt Sparkle supply, so I think I've got plenty of power.

I'm betting the thing is just fried. I usually can't keep a modem more than a year. I was just suprised that it kept the system from coming up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks