Modem dial-up sounds from my speakers?!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Timon Russo, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Timon Russo

Timon Russo Stunt Coordinator

Seems like all of a sudden, I hear the modem dial-up sounds from my main PC speakers. I've always had the internal modem speaker on, but now the noise goes thru my speakers as well.

I had a problem with my Soundblaster Live muting itself randomly and recently installed a patch for it. Could this be it? Its a Dell, and I installed the patch from a Dell resource CD. The reason it wasn't already installed was because I did a complete Windows XP re-install some time ago, and didn't use this CD until now.

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

under your modem propeties you should have a check box that says something like "play dial-up noise through speakers?"

Just say no!

B

3. Timon Russo

I looked and looked again, and I have no such check-box. Any other thoughts?

In the Device Manager, under Sound, Video, etc. it shows Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device.

4. SteveCop

SteveCop Agent

Timon,
    Try this: control panel>open phone & modems>select modems tab>select properties>select advanced tab>add "atm0" to extra initialization commands (without the quotes, and 0 is zero, not the letter o). I've read that some modems require the init string to be in all caps.

Steve

5. Timon Russo

SteveCop, that basically worked, but I forgot to mention that the dial-up sounds were preceded by an irritating POP from the speakers, as though they were being activated. Your fix did mute the sound, but the speakers still pop, so I'd be interested to hear any other ideas you might have. Thanks.

6. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

The popping sound is probably the sound of the modem going off-hook to start dialing.

If it appears in Device Manager as a Sound/Video device, then does it have a volume slider control in the Volume Control panel?

7. Timon Russo

Wayne, you got it. There is a volume slider that I wasn't showing (and forgot to look for :b ) called "TAD-In". It had become un-muted. All is well. Thanks everyone.