Modem connection keeper-aliver?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Daren Welsh, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

Great name, don't you think? I'm looking for a program that will keep a modem connection alive. I'm trying to d/l some large files and if I leave the room and let it work, the connection will get cut off, most likely from the ISP. If I stay on the computer and keep browsing this forum every few minutes, it keeps the connection alive, but I can't do that all day and night. I'm sure there's a program or two out there that periodically requests data to keep the ISP from auto-disconnecting. I figured someone here would know of one to recommend, preferrably one without spyware or unneccessary bulk.

2. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

try opening the command prompt and using
    "ping www.yahoo.com -t"
    this will send out a constant ping to yahoo.com and should keep your connection alive.

or if your worried about sending never ending pings try using a chat program like msn messenger or yahoo chat, they send out a ping every few seconds as well to test for connection.

3. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

If you have Norton Systemworks it has a program called Connection Keep Alive built into it.

4. Shawn O

Shawn O Stunt Coordinator

Would your connection stay alive if you set outlook(or what ever you use) to retrieve your email every 2 minutes or so?

Just a thought.

5. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

Good ideas ... I'll give #1 and #3 a try (don't have SystemWorks).