What's new

Modem connection keeper-aliver? (1 Viewer)

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
Great name, don't you think? I'm looking for a program that will keep a modem connection alive. I'm trying to d/l some large files and if I leave the room and let it work, the connection will get cut off, most likely from the ISP. If I stay on the computer and keep browsing this forum every few minutes, it keeps the connection alive, but I can't do that all day and night. I'm sure there's a program or two out there that periodically requests data to keep the ISP from auto-disconnecting. I figured someone here would know of one to recommend, preferrably one without spyware or unneccessary bulk.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
try opening the command prompt and using
"ping www.yahoo.com -t"
this will send out a constant ping to yahoo.com and should keep your connection alive.

or if your worried about sending never ending pings try using a chat program like msn messenger or yahoo chat, they send out a ping every few seconds as well to test for connection.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
If you have Norton Systemworks it has a program called Connection Keep Alive built into it.

Shawn O

Stunt Coordinator
Would your connection stay alive if you set outlook(or what ever you use) to retrieve your email every 2 minutes or so?

Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rvolkman
Recent bookmarks