model trains

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Pratt, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Does anyone know anything about installing about 100 foot of dual track, large scale, model train requirements, and power supply reqs. etc? A friend of mine is looking to install a setup in a clients house but needs some guidance on the how's and what's etc.

2. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Wouldn't doing this professionally for a client require that he know what he is doing?

3. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

burkes right in that this is part of a much larger install project that he is very familar with. The trains were something the client requested he also install knowing that he wasn't an expert in the matter...

5. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Asking for help is getting off on the right track then...

6. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Tell your friend to contact a model train store. These people know their stuff and will give him all of the information he needs.

7. Mark Frank

Mark Frank Stunt Coordinator

I can make a sweet Thomas the Tank Engine Wooden Railway setup. [​IMG] [​IMG]

My 3-year-old will play with that set for hours at a time!

8. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I'd get a bunch of specific requirements about the layout first; eg, does he want your friend to set up the landscaping/bridges/track flow or is this just a straight oval to run around a room? What gauge track is he using (hopefully HO, since everything else is pretty difficult and expensive to find)? As for power, 2 20 Amp dedicated circuits should be enough, (1 if its just a straight oval) unless hes doing something really funky with a lot of control circuits or a lot of lighting/mooing billboards/etc (I love the mooing dairy billboards).

Make sure your friends has some experience with modelling (paper maiche, painting, texturing) if he wants a realistic layout. Tunnels that go into the walls are cool (provided you can reach in there to get cars out if they derail).

I've got a bunch of S-gauge Lionel stuff that I've been meaning to set up for a while now. If you have the patience, money, and time, it really is a super cool hobby. My neighbor when I was a kid built an entire trestle out of matchsticks, and it is still one of the most amazing pieces of woodcraft I've ever seen.

Here are some links:

http://www.modelrailroadingmag.com/
    http://www.nmra.org/
    http://www.walthers.com/

For "how much is this old set worth?":
    http://www.guesswork.com/~stev/NMRA-valuation.html

9. Grant B

Grant B Producer

10. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

11. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Matt
    Space is a problem.....and if you live in a San Francisco Victorian it is a real pain.
    When I was rebuilding the front rooms I wanted to put a 2 inch strip of wood on the picture rail that would have track on it.
    Since my Entertainment cabinet if 6 ft wide, the main part of the set up would be on there.....it would hae been so cool!
    But I am married (still) and she was not in favor.
    She now admits it would have been good (not publically)
    Instead I built a 8 foot wide cabinet that opens up with my trains insides.
    The layout splits into 4 pieces - 2 feet wide, and stores in the cabinet.
    A lot of work but I am still married!
    Yes, it is very expensive. My grandmother loved trains and gave me the original set and I got most of the rest for xmas presents in I was about 10 YO. I could not afford most of them right now. One engine I have goes for around $800 on ebay and the cars are $30 -$100....the price tags said they were bout for about $2 a piece[​IMG] [​IMG]