Mode question for Pioneer PRO520HD owners

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikhailL, Jul 11, 2002.

1. MikhailL

MikhailL Extra

I've read the manual, but I'm still not clear which mode is intended for viewing widescreen dvd movies. There are Natural Wide, Cinema Wide, Zoom and Full to choose from. I'm more comfortable with Natural Wide, but the manual seems to point to either Cinema, Zoom or Full, depending on what the back of dvd box says. I was never able to find 'Vista' or 'Cinemascope' words on the dvd packaging.
    What do you use?

2. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

I watch just about all dvds in the Full mode...especially if the dvd is anamorphic / enhanced widescreen. Occasionally, on a matted widescreen movie, I'll watch it on the Cinema Wide. I find that zoom makes the picture too fuzzy & crops too much of the picture. I use Natural wide for all tv viewing and full screen dvds.

3. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

"Full" mode on the Pioneers will present an anamorphic DVD in its proper aspect ratio and without any distortion. If a movie was filmed in 2.35:1 ratio (Phantom Menace, for example), "Full" mode will present the movie with narrow bars along the top and bottom, but without any distortion of the image... in other words, "Full" displays anamorphic DVDs as closely to what they were in the theater as is possible.

Both "Cinema" and "Natural" modes will stretch and crop the image slightly -- which may be beneficial for 2.35:1 films to elimitate the narrow bars -- but with either of these two modes the TV is doing more stretching of the image than was intended when the film was transferred to DVD. The bottom line is to use whichever mode you like the best, but if your interest is to view a film in exactly the style it was presented in the theater, Full mode is the choice for you.

4. Mike Tripicco

Mike Tripicco Auditioning

As others have said, Full takes the input picture and displays it across the full width of the screen, hence it is the mode of choice for anamorphic/widescreen enhanced movies
    regardless of the aspect ratio of the film. No stretch, no zoom in this mode.

Cinema wide is a zoom mode which is designed to zoom a non-anamorphic 1.85:1 aspect ratio film for a 16:9 screen. I think "Vista" refers to 1.85:1.

Zoom is also a zoom mode (duh!) but more extreme. It should zoom a non-anamorphic 2.35:1 film nicely for your screen. I believe that in this context "Cinemascope" refers to 2.35:1.

Careful with Natural Wide. It is a combination zoom and progressive stretch mode designed to make 1.33:1 (ie 4:3) programming fill your screen. I wouldn't use it for anything other than SDTV programming.