Modding PE plate amps.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dustin B, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

The parts for the subs I'm going to build for a friend and roommate shipped yesterday. The amp for both is this one:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...=9387&CATID=43
    I intend to change the boost to 1dB at 25hz with the corner freqeuncy at 17hz. The roommate has friends where he works who are experienced at soldering to change out the resistors. So my question is since I know almost nothing about resistors is there anything I should know before I go buy some 1/8 or 1/4W 47K and 180K ohm resistors at Radio Shack?
    Pat mentioned in another thread I should stay away from polarized caps and get non-polarized ones.
    Can/should I get them at Radio Shack?
    Does it matter if they are 1/2W?
    Is there a certain brand I should be looking for?
    Is there a certain material they should be made of?

2. Rudy H

Rudy H Stunt Coordinator

You should use the highest tolerance resistors you can find, I used 22k 1watt resistors, but they are way overkill. And they were only 5% tolerance IIRC.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I think it you ask nicely, Parts Express will mail you the right resistors for the job.

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I actually ordered everything from Acoustic Visions. Wanted the Adire FP4 port kit and PE shipping to Canada is ridiculous. I'm kicking myself now though as I should of had Kyle do exactly that.

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

K, I'm dumb. Just because I didn't order directly from them doesn't mean I still can't ask does it. The amp did come from them. Anyways, I've sent Kyle an email asking him to see if he can get PE to send the resistors out. Thanks Pat.

6. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Dustin, in my e-mail I mentioned that I bought mine from Radio Shack but I remember now that I ordered them from a local supply shop. If PE will not or cannot supply them I will order some and mail them to you no charge. I believe they were about 5% tolerance 1/4 or 1/2 watt if I remember correctly (but dont hold me to that) [​IMG]
    Kyle Richardson
    Acoustic Visions