What's new

Mockingbird Lane (NBC "Munsters" Halloween Special) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed it. My favorite part was the music; so happy they kept the old theme.
I also thought Charity Wakefield brought something really interesting to the role of Marilyn; she brings a sense of wry irony to the role, as opposed to the original character, who simply was ironic.
TonyD said:
Grandpa wasn't a vampire I pretty sure he is a demon at least that's what he liked like plus his cookies were a D.
If they're keeping to the original mythology, the "D" is for Dracula, the first vampire.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I liked the werewolf in the beginning. I also laughed at The Prophecy homage with the kid in the sleeping bad.

I thought the Marilyn and Grandpa scenes were really enjoyable and found myself smiling and giggling through the entire visit to the neighbor bit.

Lily, and to a much lesser extent, Herman are the problem. This version of Herman is pretty consistant with the original. What made the original work so well, was you essentially had Frankensteins monster who was a big softie, loved his family, was a scarycat, etc and Fred pulled it off perfectly. This version lacks the essentrics and the visual (and of course Freds talent), but avoiding the slapstick, its a pretty faighful update of the character. As for Jerrys makeup, I did notice that his body and head complexion didnt quite match seperated at the stitch at his neck, and it looked to me like his right arm was from a smaller person than his left. A nice touch.

Portia's Lily is just bland. Im not sure why, considering shes Draculas daughter, they didnt go a bit more vampish. Even paling her skin, and a simple hint of white stripe, a Lily trademark, would have helped her appearance.

It looked great. I liked the werewolf, I hated the ManBat design. I did laugh quite a few times - the previous mentioned visit to theneighbor, the dinner scnes(Eddie playing with his food), and Herman falling off the roof. There were also a couple good one liners "I cant be a vegetarian werewolf"

It's got issues, but if this went to series, Id tune in and see how it goes.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Loved the look of the show. Art direction and set design seem to share a lot of qualities with Fuller's Pushing Daisies. Not so sure about the new versions of the family, though. With the exception of a few Grandpa scenes, they just don't seem monster-ish enough to be the Munsters. Part of the fun of the original was seeing regular people react to Herman's Frankenstein monster look, or vampirish Lily. The new family can blend relatively easily into any public setting.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
I was never a huge fan of the original Munsters, always more of an Addams guy myself, but I tuned into this to check it out specifically because of Bryan Fuller (I didn't realize that Bryan Singer directed it until the credit came up), and quite enjoyed it.
From what I've read, Fuller is working on completing his Hannibal series, all of the actors are locked in until July 1, 2013, and that if the ratings are high enough, NBC will pick things up, potentially as a summer series. Fuller's also stated that he's got scripts for the next three episodes (including one with the Creature from the Black Lagoon), and that he's got a 6-episode story arc laid out too.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Fuller's also stated that he's got scripts for the next three episodes (including one with the Creature from the Black Lagoon)

^ This is why I kind of have hope for this show, and that it gets picked up.

Theres potential for all sorts of monster goodness.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This caused me to finally get the original Musters DVD set and it was even on sale at Amazon!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Once again, we get a "reimagining" whose only real connection to the original is the names of the characters. If they'd taken the script and dropped the Munsters references entirely, it might've been OK, but the violence and nastiness attached to the Munsters name just made it freakish and shocking. I'm glad my kid (who would've loved the original show) got bored and left the room before there was too much blood. (Naked Grandpa eating a live deer with its blood all over his face was pretty much the jump-the-shark moment, and the overly contrived accidental death of the nice scout leader was the proverbial nail in the coffin.)
Interestingly, purely out of inertia I left NBC on afterward and watched Grimm for the first time. That show wasn't half bad! I'm not a Nielsen house, but there ya go. :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Aaron Silverman said:
Once again, we get a "reimagining" whose only real connection to the original is the names of the characters. If they'd taken the script and dropped the Munsters references entirely, it might've been OK, but the violence and nastiness attached to the Munsters name just made it freakish and shocking. I'm glad my kid (who would've loved the original show) got bored and left the room before there was too much blood. (Naked Grandpa eating a live deer with its blood all over his face was pretty much the jump-the-shark moment, and the overly contrived accidental death of the nice scout leader was the proverbial nail in the coffin.)
Aaron,
I appreciate what you wrote here. Since it has nothing to do with the original series (and includes what you've written above), I'm quite pleased that I missed it.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
This felt more like American Horror Story than The Munsters. Something (well, several things) was just off. The timing and the tone were inconsistent and very heavy-handed. As a comedy it might work better as a 1/2 hour and with someone like, say, Tim Burton behind the scenes. As a drama, it doesn't work.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott, You really didn't miss much!
I was trying to be objective above in my comments. I think the original is a better show and I even went and finally got around to buying the original series on DVD.
From what I have been reading, this airing of Mockingbird Lane sounds like a one off timed well with Halloween.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
Scott, You really didn't miss much!
I was trying to be objective above in my comments. I think the original is a better show and I even went and finally got around to buying the original series on DVD.
From what I have been reading, this airing of Mockingbird Lane sounds like a one off timed well with Halloween.
Nelson,
Thanks for the comments above. I am going to pick up the complete The Munsters series soon. I enjoyed it as a child, and I do like Fred Gwynn.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I also enjoyed it in my youth. It was part of that wall of syndicated shows that ran in the afternoons!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It holds up really well. I bought the DVDs when they came out and maybe even enjoyed it more than when I was a kid.
Aaron, Grimm is a good show. Monroe (the guy scaring the trick or treaters) is a hoot.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I actually enjoyed the "reimagining" of the series, but it was terribly expensive for a pilot. Everything I've seen says it all depends on what its final ratings are, then the decision will be made to order more or pass on it.
Even if it had the ratings to be picked up, I'd imagine it would be months before new episodes would make it to broadcast, by then all interest may have faded.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Thanks, Greg. I tend to watch one episode of new shows and then forget about them (whether I like 'em or not), but maybe I'll check out Grimm on disc or On Demand. That Monroe guy was definitely a hoot. My son seemed pretty intrigued even though it was scary, but my wife freaked out and made him leave the room. Daddy got in big trouble! :)
I used to watch Munsters reruns all the time back in the '70s and early '80s. Nice to hear that it holds up; maybe I'll get it to share with my kid.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Thanks for the tip. The episode I saw was about a ghost who drowns children, so there wasn't any blood.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
A must-have for fans of the original....http://www.hometheaterforum.com/content/type/61/id/169724/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks